I want to breed! Now what?

Have a basic care or new owner question? Check here, it may have been answered already!
Forum rules
Only moderators can move content into this forum. If you would like to add anything to a thread or start a new thread it is welcomed, but please create a thread in the General Discussion Forum or PM a Moderator and request that it be reviewed and moved over. Thanks!
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN

I want to breed! Now what?

Postby Susann » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:58 pm

We have people coming here all the time after getting a blue tongue skink (or a pair) wondering where our information is on how to breed.

Here are some of the reasons why we don’t have posts with all the detailed information just easily available to everyone:

Often the people coming here asking for information on breeding have not been around the forum for very long, and if you are new to the forum, quite frankly, we don’t know how knowledgeable you are, where you have been getting your information, or if you’ve done any research at all.

Most people who breed BTS do it for the love of the animals. For that reason we try to make sure that the animals that are being produced, both the breeding animals and the babies, are cared for properly. Breeding can be risky, and we try our utmost to have the resources necessary to fix anything that may go wrong.

Many of us have been here on these forums for many years putting in our time, first learning all we can, and then volunteering our time to make sure that skinks are getting the care they need by educating and helping the owners who come here.

I personally think it would be extremely careless of us to hand out information on how to put skinks at risk to just anyone who stops by long enough to ask. We have young teenagers whose parents think it’s cool to let their kids try their hand at breeding, but when the mother or babies are suffering, aren’t willing to pay hundreds, sometimes thousands of dollars to get vet care for reptiles.

Most of us who breed are adamantly against breeding together skinks of different species or subspecies. It would, in my opinion, be very careless to hand breeding information on a platter to someone who may only be interested in producing with whatever they happen to have on hand of opposite sexes.

Many of us have been around long enough to realize that people, who are after easy info to make a quick buck or just to have the experience, oftentimes don’t stick around to look for guidance when things go wrong. I honestly don’t know which is worse: the keeper who is told to be careful but disregards it only to come around pleading for help while giving excuses for why they are unable to do what we say, or the keeper who mates their skinks against our advice only to disappear, leaving us to wonder what went wrong.

Are we unfairly stereotyping everyone when many would in no way end up anything other than serious, conscientious breeders? Maybe. But most of us have also put in plenty of time, years in most cases, finding out what caring for several skinks is like, what vet care costs, all the while researching all we can on mating, caring for gravid skinks, and how to take care of little ones.

Most of us have taken the time, put in the research, saved our money, and sacrificed whatever necessary to be able to care for an unknown number of babies for an unknown period of time.

Is it “elitist” of us to want to make sure that all skinks out there get every bit that we think they deserve? We know many who have come here asking for information have walked away thinking that’s what we are.
I, for one, can live with that.

If you are interested in breeding blue tongue skinks, put in the time learning all you can about the animals you wish to produce. Don’t come here as a brand new owner, asking basic questions and looking for information on how to breed at the same time. Here on this forum we care more about these animals than to hand out breeding information to someone who we aren’t sure even knows the basics.

I am not trying to make anyone feel bad and I'm not trying to turn people away. I care for these animals deeply and I do my utmost to ensure the well-being of any animal whose owner comes here for information.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
Scincoides

Re: I want to breed! Now what?

Postby Scincoides » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:11 pm

Very well said Susann. I couldn't agree more
Austin & Danielle
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii

http://www.scincoides.com
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens

Postby Dakota » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:34 pm

I think this should be in the FAQs! :)
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
skinks101
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby skinks101 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:57 am

I agree with Susann.
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Susann » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:56 am

I will leave it here for a while; want to give others with thoughts on the topic the opportunity to share their views and opinions as well; it can go in the FAQ later.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
Edward
Carpe diem
Carpe diem

Postby Edward » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:28 am

Susann wrote:Most of us who breed are adamantly against breeding together skinks of different species or subspecies. It would, in my opinion, be very careless to hand breeding information on a platter to someone who may only be interested in producing with whatever they happen to have on hand of opposite sexes.

Above all, this is a huge concern of mine.
Great post, Susann.
Nemo me impune lacessit.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:28 am

Right on, Sue.
TPceebee
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Your Facebook name: Insta - @Oxide_fx

Postby TPceebee » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:46 am

I agree, though I think it's acceptable to ask for advice as a well-known, long time contributor to the site. But I can totally understand not wanting to condone the acts of anyone who happens across this site in regards to breeding. Who knows what their motives are or how they keep their skinks. I'd just want to focus on keeping my skink/s healthy and well cared for, for the next 30 odd years or so :D .

Also it pains me to see people breeding or wanting to breed two different species together. The people doing that don't respect the species' unique traits. Why would you even want to do that...
Reptiles Owned:

1.0 Northern - Rusty - 1 July 2015
0.0.1 Black Roughneck Monitor Lizard - Neville - 1 April 2019

Return to “Frequently Asked Questions”