Mouth rot?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
SergioBernabe
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Mouth rot?

Postby SergioBernabe » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:43 am

Hi,

My blue tongue skink has had these scabs for a month. Eventually they would come out with serum and a gentle poke, but he is getting me worrie as i thought they would dissapear once he molted, but it didnt. He is a 4 months old northern blue tongue skink. His cage has an uvb fluroescent and a heat lamp.

PD: i tried to take it out again and i think it hurts him as he tries to scape...

PD: internally his mouth looks very clean and healthy, only the external mouth is affected

Thanks for any reply ^^

mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Mouth rot?

Postby mb606587 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:38 pm

No it doesn't look like mouth rot to me. It seems to be a minor scale issue around the mouth which is pretty common. Sometimes stuck shed, food build up, and substrate can become glued on with their saliva around the mouth. Keep the area clean and monitor it to make sure it doesn't get any worse. You can use Listerine (only the brown unflavored kind) as a disinfectant. Put a couple drops into a cap and fill the rest with water and use a Q tip to swab the area, although I don't think you need to do this in this case. As long as your skink is eating regularly, there is no redness or swelling inside or outside the mouth, and no foaming or discharge coming out, your skink should be just fine. If you see any of those symptoms, seek out a vet.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”