Broken/Hanging toe nail

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
RedCaliburn
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Broken/Hanging toe nail

Postby RedCaliburn » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:57 pm

Hello, I'm relatively new to blue tongue skinks. I have had a recent vet check up, and he's been pretty healthy. It's a Northern blue tongue skink that is turning 4 years old in June and he's been with me for about 4 weeks now.

Just moments ago, I looked at one of his toes, and it broke off and there was some blood around it. I don't know what exactly caused this to happen, but I think while I took him out, he may have caught his nail onto my shirt by accident. It's now hanging off, and I'm not sure if I should be alarmed, or get it treated in some way to remove it safely. Could you please help my pet Iggy out? Thanks!

I didn't get the best pictures of him since my camera wasn't focusing properly. But the best way to describe it is that it seems that he may have ripped it around the quik area, and now it's hanging off of his toe/quik.

https://imgur.com/a/tR6zX
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Re: Broken/Hanging toe nail

Postby kingofnobbys » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:56 pm

Did you completely the remove the staples that held the cardboard/paper advertising and barcode sheet to the hubbahut ?

Very important to remove any staples from the hubbahut , especially if they are where the skink can make contact with them .
Skinks have received very nasty injuries from staples left in hubbahuts and other timber furniture , even had their tummy cut open ....

I'm betting he's managed to snag a toe or nail under a staple and this was caused when he pulled himself free . Chances are he's broken the toe as well as injuring the toenail.

I'd be mixing some 1/4 strength betadiene in water in small round tub or medicine cup and soaking the injured toe and nail in it for 15mins per day and applying a drop of manuka honey to it to try to ward off any infection. Worth having a vet examine the injuries too (xrays may be necessary).
RedCaliburn
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby RedCaliburn » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:40 am

I have removed all staples on the log before putting it in his cage. I believe he snagged his nail onto my shirt by accident (which I feel terrible about). I appreciate the suggestion, but I'm not sure where I can get those medications in Canada. I will have a look around. If worst case scenerio, I will take him back to the vet to have it examined. Its just that the cost to get there is quite costly.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:47 pm

Hi, it sounds like he snagged it pretty bad. The toe isn't affected then, just the nail right? If it is the nail only you can clip it with nail clippers, but have some sort of quick stop ready to apply. This will stop the bleeding. Then watch the area very close for several days. Try to keep the nail/to area clean. This will help. The above suggestion will help also. After a few days it should be healed up. If the toe is also an issue then I would recommend a vet visit. Also if you aren't comfortable or aren't sure, vet visit. Good luck and I hope your skink feels better soon.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:52 pm

RedCaliburn wrote:I have removed all staples on the log before putting it in his cage. I believe he snagged his nail onto my shirt by accident (which I feel terrible about). I appreciate the suggestion, but I'm not sure where I can get those medications in Canada. I will have a look around. If worst case scenerio, I will take him back to the vet to have it examined. Its just that the cost to get there is quite costly.

Activon (comes in small tube) = medical grade manuka honey , any chemist will stock it or similar.

Betadiene is available at all chemists , even in supermarkets in the medication / health isle.
RedCaliburn
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby RedCaliburn » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:21 am

Janella wrote:Hi, it sounds like he snagged it pretty bad. The toe isn't affected then, just the nail right? If it is the nail only you can clip it with nail clippers, but have some sort of quick stop ready to apply. This will stop the bleeding. Then watch the area very close for several days. Try to keep the nail/to area clean. This will help. The above suggestion will help also. After a few days it should be healed up. If the toe is also an issue then I would recommend a vet visit. Also if you aren't comfortable or aren't sure, vet visit. Good luck and I hope your skink feels better soon.

I'll monitor his toe for the next week or so. I'm just leaving it there for the next few days to heal up and then safely take out the tiny remainder of the nail. At worst, if the toe area starts to swell up or show signs of infection, I'll take him to the vet. I put in a new layer of substrate a few days ago, so I've been diligently spot cleaning, and keeping his tank fresh as possible. And thank you, I'm sure it was just a minor injury and nothing too worrying hopefully.
RedCaliburn
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby RedCaliburn » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:02 pm

*Update*

Well... Iggy seems to be doing ok. I have looked at his nail everyday, and there was no signs of swelling on his toe. Just a little bit of leftover dried blood stain on the quick, but he should be fine. He's still active and curious as ever.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:54 am

Well that is good news. No more nail hanging then?
RedCaliburn
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby RedCaliburn » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:20 am

Janella wrote:Well that is good news. No more nail hanging then?

His hanging nail naturally fell off. It was hanging on by a thread, but now he's ok. :]
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:37 am

Great news. Glad all is well.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”