Red spot on Rinzler’s lower lip?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Ashleigh86
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Red spot on Rinzler’s lower lip?

Postby Ashleigh86 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:21 pm

Hello! Can anyone tell me what this is on Rinzler’s lower lip? He’s an Indonesian BTS, about two years old I’ve had him for a little over a year. He’s on coco fiber bedding with a mercury vapor bulb for light and heating and UV. His cave on the left has moistened moss in it that stays 40-50 percent humidity. His basking spot is 85-90F. He get a chow mix once a week sprinkled with calcium and multivitamin powder. He’s eating really well and is still active. He’s due for a shed and I’m sure will be doing that soon. I’ll be keeping an eye on the area but I want to see what you guys think because of course I’m worried about mouth rot. He doesn’t seem to care when I touched it and I attached a pic of the area (best I could without stressing him too much) and also a pic of his enclosure. He bumps his mouth sometimes so I was wondering if maybe that’s what it was?

ReptiFiles
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Red spot on Rinzler’s lower lip?

Postby ReptiFiles » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:27 am

It's a little difficult to tell from the picture, but it looks like a minor abrasion to me — it should clear up on its own. However if you start to notice redness and/or swelling, it would be worth taking him to the vet for an examination.

Since Rinzler is an Indonesian, his humidity needs to be at 60-80% for best health. The easiest way to facilitate this, I've found, is to mix water into the substrate until it is uniformly moist (but not wet).
Mariah Healey
Author of ReptiFiles.com, a free online educational resource for reptile owners
Check out my research on captive husbandry for BTS: https://www.reptifiles.com/blue-tongue-skink-care-sheet/
1.0 Tiliqua gigas evanescens
1.0 Tiliqua scincoides intermedia
Ashleigh86
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Ashleigh86 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:23 am

ReptiFiles wrote:It's a little difficult to tell from the picture, but it looks like a minor abrasion to me — it should clear up on its own. However if you start to notice redness and/or swelling, it would be worth taking him to the vet for an examination.

Since Rinzler is an Indonesian, his humidity needs to be at 60-80% for best health. The easiest way to facilitate this, I've found, is to mix water into the substrate until it is uniformly moist (but not wet).

Oh, that was supposed to read 40-60 percent humidity but yeah, I will work on getting it up to 60-80. I’m hoping it’s just a minor thing and I’ll be keeping an eye on it for sure. He’s in a 40 gallon tank, do you think he might need a bigger place to avoid this from happening again(if that’s what it is)?
ReptiFiles
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ReptiFiles » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:29 am

36x18x18 is the bare minimum for a blue tongue skink. I'm sure he wouldn't object if you upgraded him to 48x24x18 or larger.
Mariah Healey
Author of ReptiFiles.com, a free online educational resource for reptile owners
Check out my research on captive husbandry for BTS: https://www.reptifiles.com/blue-tongue-skink-care-sheet/
1.0 Tiliqua gigas evanescens
1.0 Tiliqua scincoides intermedia
Ashleigh86
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Ashleigh86 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:05 pm

ReptiFiles wrote:36x18x18 is the bare minimum for a blue tongue skink. I'm sure he wouldn't object if you upgraded him to 48x24x18 or larger.

I’m sure he wouldn’t! Probably wouldn’t be a bad Christmas present for him:)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”