I can’t tell if my skink’s leg is broken?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
wonderings
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

I can’t tell if my skink’s leg is broken?

Postby wonderings » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:11 pm

She’s about 4.5 months old now and she climbed out of her enclosure :( I had no idea she even could but I’m way more careful now. I know skinks can drag their feet sometimes but her one back leg feels kind of more limp than the other. But it isn’t swollen or anything and also there is stuck shed on it that I’m having kind of a hard time trying to get off. I can’t tell because she will still use this leg and move it sometimes after dragging it.
I took a video of it being dragged and then using it but I don’t know how to post them.
I tried googling but the injuries seemed at lot more severe (swollen, knobby elbow, etc) so I really am not sure. And she’s okay with me touching it so I guess it isn’t painful.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Re: I can’t tell if my skink’s leg is broken?

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:00 am

George was about the same age and very rambunctious and somehow broke his left upper arm in his rearing tub , first vet took an xray and sent him home , arm swelled up , off to another reptile vet who had a better xray and spotted a fracture so next day was back to go under a general and have the bone pinned and set and his arm and shoulder immobilized .

6 weeks later another set of xrays and the cast was removed and George was good to go .

So if you suspect a serious injury, don't mess about, find a good reptile vet and have the BT examined and properly treated.
wonderings
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: I can’t tell if my skink’s leg is broken?

Postby wonderings » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:31 pm

kingofnobbys wrote:George was about the same age and very rambunctious and somehow broke his left upper arm in his rearing tub , first vet took an xray and sent him home , arm swelled up , off to another reptile vet who had a better xray and spotted a fracture so next day was back to go under a general and have the bone pinned and set and his arm and shoulder immobilized .

6 weeks later another set of xrays and the cast was removed and George was good to go .

So if you suspect a serious injury, don't mess about, find a good reptile vet and have the BT examined and properly treated.

Thank you, we’re calling some places now to try to get her checked on. The first place took reptiles but the lady did not even know what a skink was! A little bit ridiculous. :/ I’d like to update this thread once I know what’s going on just in case someone else has the same problem.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”