Circumstance of Passing (Sensitive Topic Warning)

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics

Circumstance of Passing (Sensitive Topic Warning)

Postby Fatal_S » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:37 pm

I am putting this under the advanced forum simply because of the more sensitive nature of my question.

Has anyone had a skink pass away while hidden?

Over the years I have unfortunately had several skinks pass, and I noticed a pattern - they would all come out and lie in the open to die. The same seems to hold true for when they are feeling ill - skinks that normally hide all the time are suddenly laying out in the open. I've also heard second-hand experiences that seem to follow this trend.

So I'm wondering if anyone can contribute to this idea, either with experiences that agree, or better yet with ones that disagree?

The reason I ask is because I basically take this idea as fact now. If my skinks are hiding away, I don't worry about them and I don't dig them out to check on them; I just assume that they're feeling fine if they're burrowed away. But if I see a skink laying out in the open, especially if it's not it's normal behaviour, alarm bells go off; I pull that skink for a check, then watch it more carefully for a while (monitor intake/waste/activity). So far this has worked well for me, but I realize that if my thesis is wrong, then I should probably be checking on the hidden ones too.

All first-hand (and even credible second-hand) experiences are appreciated.

Many thanks,
Melanie

PS: While I'm asking, how about other reptiles/animals? Is coming out into the open to die a common behaviour?
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens

Re: Circumstance of Passing (Sensitive Topic Warning)

Postby Dakota » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:37 am

Now that I remember, Thiswai was above her substrate when I found her dead. She was against a corner, though.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:09 am

Ive had a couple die that were found in there hides,well ones tail was hanging out of hide,the fact ut hadnt moved by next day made me go check on it,another passed inside a large hide,roughly 2 foot by 4 foot in size,bother were outdoors kept though,easterns

Most though have been out in the open like u mention though
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott

Postby Scotts1au » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:40 pm

Never had a blotchie die in that way but has happened a couple of times with Easterns -where they have died in the open. The animals were otherwise healthy looking - weight wise etc. One in particular had been treated for an RI another had suffered a lump on the jaw in the preceding year.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics

Postby Fatal_S » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:48 pm

Scotts1au wrote:Never had a blotchie die in that way but has happened a couple of times with Easterns -where they have died in the open. The animals were otherwise healthy looking - weight wise etc. One in particular had been treated for an RI another had suffered a lump on the jaw in the preceding year.

So most of your skinks who've passed did so while burrowed away?
spandangle
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby spandangle » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:52 am

Huh. Interesting observation and it has made me think. I have found wild shinglebacks that have been very ill with the bobtail flu out in the open. Some of them on deaths door. I have also found one or two dead in the open, like in the middle of a bush trail. So this behaviour is not just in captivity.
Teacup
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby Teacup » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:52 pm

Fatal_S wrote:PS: While I'm asking, how about other reptiles/animals? Is coming out into the open to die a common behaviour?

I can't comment on skinks but I have had mixed behaviours from the reptiles we have had that passed. My beardie hid a lot more than usual in the month or so leading up to her passing, and she died in one of her hidey-holes. My tegu, on the other hand, passed away partly buried in his substrate but mostly exposed. Both appear to have died in their sleep.

With our boa, we had to euthanise.
0.0.2 Merauke BTS
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
1.0.0 Cagles Map Turtle
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko
0.1.0 Ball python
1.0.0 Western Hognose
1.1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
Always in my heart: Speckles the RT boa; Darwin our blue tegu; Squishy my bearded dragon.
Blueythebluetongue
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Blueythebluetongue » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:15 am

I cannot speak for Blue Tongues, but I think what your saying is probably true. My Blue only comes out to bask, and then he's usually in a hide. I do know that with my friends skiddish leopard gecko, he came out when he died.
1 Irian Jaya- Blue
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott

Postby Scotts1au » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:59 pm

Actually I've only had a couple die, never during brumation but I know of a number of instances where blueys have died after brumation - I suspect from infections. I know of someone on this forum who lost two Alpine blueys that died during brumation (probably froze), but yeah my experience is that death normally follows a period of activity, probably as a result of discomfort, irritation, starving for oxygen etc. Blueys suffering from RIs (consequently starving for oxygen) tend to roam around with their heads held up. This may be an instinctual response as popping the head up and moving around would possibly be a response to drowning of their hide in the wild.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”