Environmental Enrichment

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
saisaac
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Environmental Enrichment

Postby saisaac » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:51 am

http://repository.si.edu/bitstream/1008 ... HIS142.pdf

Above is a rather interesting article that addresses something I am sure each of us has considered at one time or another: keeping our reptiles healthy both physically and mentally.

What do you guys do to keep your skinks active and healthy? I've been trying different setup layouts and what not to keep Chewy interested in his surroundings. Whenver I change things up he seems to act as if the whole world around him is new walking around tasting everything and climbing all around. He shows not interest in active food, so that hasn't proven to be a way to stimulate him.
Seth Isaacson

1.1.0 Tiliqua scincoides intermedia (Chewy and Malla )

1.1.0 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels (Mel and Lanie) 1.0.0 "Morkie" (Nigel)
Lauriek
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Re: Environmental Enrichment

Postby Lauriek » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:34 pm

Interesting article. I often take my skinks out of their cages for walk on the grass but I've observed all of them head towards 'the dark' meaning they seem to be attracted to the shadows - a survival instinct I think. I had a large pile of dried grass on the lawn. All the blotchies explored it, then curled up and went to sleep underneath the dried grass! The shingles will do the same. Sometimes I put a handful of clean straw in their cages and all the skinks will investigate. They can be trained to a certain extent, or habitualised. They recognise me coming near the cages. Generally it means food for them. I've not actually tried to train any of them as such to 'do' certain things.
Laurie & A Band O' Blotchies - Bliss (RIP). Barnum the Old Blotchie. Binti, the rescued Blotchie. The Shingles - Solomon & Sheba (Miss Houdini)

Be humble, because you are made of the Earth. Be noble, because you are made of the Stars. - Serbian proverb.
saisaac
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby saisaac » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:03 am

I have been participating in a similar discussion over at Reptile Forums Uk:
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/l ... hment.html

I'd love to hear more ideas from the bluey experts here on the forum especially those that have some more experience with them in their native environment.
Seth Isaacson

Dood
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby Dood » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:15 pm

I'm certainly no BTS expert but my skink is let out to roam a 20x30 family room several times a week.

I also put out food (ie snails, meal worms, worms) for him to hunt for around the room and he gets to interact with my well trained dogs and house rabbits, except one doe who tries to kill him :hehe:

I got the idea from this article - http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/u ... 3/art00007 as I've never thought of giving enrichment to my milk snakes or turtles but now I wonder :noknow:

Ideas for enrichment activities - http://www.zsl.org/zsl-london-zoo/exhib ... 25,AR.html
saisaac
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby saisaac » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:54 am

I'll have to take a look at those.

Chewy was not a fan of me making getting to his food a game. I tried putting some light branches over the food bowl so that he would have to move them in order to get his beloved egg, but he simply got bored or frustrated and went back to basking! Lazy, spoiled skink! I bet if I waited longer between feedings he would be a more active participant. He does seem to enjoy hunting down a few grubs from time to time if I toss them into the substrate, but he won't eat out in the living room. Digging around in a large dog bed certainly got his tongue flicking about and after a while he popped back out from under the cushion and walked right over to me.

One of my dogs couldn't care less about him walking around the room, but Chewy is fascinated by him.
Seth Isaacson

hurricanejen
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby hurricanejen » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:43 pm

Enrichment is huge. I think captive bred skinks are better candidates for enrichment through being out of their cage, but imported animals should have their enclosures looked as their primary opportunity for enrichment.

My big male Northern, for example, gets extremely frustrated being in his cage constantly (probably my fault for letting him out in my old apartment so much). He'll rub his nose raw if he is not taken out, which was why I'd often take him to work with me on weekends. The females care a whole lot less about it, and seem happy to stay in their enclosures.

Adding new decor items, such as hides, is an excellent way to provide enrichment. Thick layers of bedding to burrow in. Hide favorite foods in places the skinks have to work at to get them. Let them chase things such as roaches or worms. New food items.

My northerns will steal dog bones and rawhides and drag them under couches to attempt eating them any time they're out near the dog stuff. My male northern in particular was incredibly fascinated by a jangly cat ball toy, but the other skinks were less enthused.

Putting gizzards and hearts inside cat toys (those balls that are basically an open frame instead of a solid ball) is one way to keep them entertained. I used to do this when I kept monitors, and did it a couple times for my skinks, though not in a long time. The monitors were better at the ball "game" - they used feet as well to try and get into the ball, and would really persist in rolling it around.
I used to be cool.
Lauriek
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby Lauriek » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:51 pm

Monitors are actually very clever. There's been some interesting research on them.
Laurie & A Band O' Blotchies - Bliss (RIP). Barnum the Old Blotchie. Binti, the rescued Blotchie. The Shingles - Solomon & Sheba (Miss Houdini)

Be humble, because you are made of the Earth. Be noble, because you are made of the Stars. - Serbian proverb.
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:25 pm

Monitors certainly are persistant buggers,unlike skinks they are always up to something
hurricanejen
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby hurricanejen » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:28 pm

Yoop, I miss keeping them. Super smart
I used to be cool.
saisaac
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby saisaac » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:27 pm

I had thought about using a small dog sized Kong interactive toy and stuffing it with something for him.I have a couple that I use for my dogs. I tried a "Furchin Cookie" dog toy, but he didn't seem interested unlike my dogs who adore them. Chewy is a pretty big jerk when it comes to my attempts to make feeding a game or simply a little more difficult. Typically he just doesn't eat then.

However, I have been getting him out more, which he clearly enjoys, and I have partially buried his cork bark hides into the substrate and then I block up the opening partially so he has to dig his way in and that has kept him working at it. He seems to enjoy the hides more now too. Perhaps he feels more secure since they are more closed off than before.

I also tried putting strange items into his enclosure for him to investigate such as slobery dog toys, leaves from pesticide free house plants, a sterlized antler, etc. Some items he really responds to. Others seem to invoke no interest.
Seth Isaacson

critterguy
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby critterguy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:32 am

I don't have any experience with monitors but I will say I think bluetongues are pretty intelligent. Probably not as interactive and responsive as say turtles/tortoises but...

I've managed to target train both of mine. It is not full-proof...they will sometimes mistake a hand or something else for the target. They also tend to get excited and bite the targets when very hungry. And of course motivation is a difficult thing. But I bet you could achieve great results with consistent training and a large portion of the animals food offered this way. I think bridging them with clicker training would be a good strategy. This would be great enrichment for both skink and owner.

I bet one of those wiffle balls filled with treats that tumble around and fall out every so often would keep a skink busy for a long time.

~Joe

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”