Oxalates, Goitrogens

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
megan91
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Oxalates, Goitrogens

Postby megan91 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:37 pm

Ok, so im trying to learn a few things about oxalates and giotrogens. From http://www.moonvalleyreptiles.com/uroma ... ens-toxins it states that Collard Greens, Mustard Greens, Turnip Greens, and Watercress are giotrogens.
From http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=48
it states beet greens and collards are all high/moderate in oxalates.
ALL of these are all staples to a blueys diet on this website. I really want to incorporate healthy greens into my bts diet but am having a hard time/reading conflicting information.

I guess based on those 2 conclusions above, the remaining staple greens are arugula, dandelion greens, endive and escarole?
And it also makes me think collard greens are not the greatest, seeing as how it is high in giotrogens and oxalates.
HELP
donkeybuff
Coffee Connoisseur
Coffee Connoisseur

Re: Oxalates, Goitrogens

Postby donkeybuff » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:21 pm

Oxalate forms an ionic bond with calcium to become Calcium Oxalate, or Ca(C2O4). By doing this, the calcium is bound into a compound which is not usable by the body. Therefore, high oxalate veggies are not recommended to be fed in large amounts because they reduce the amount of calcium that your skink receives from its food. Calcium oxalate is largely insoluble in water and therefore can cause kidney stones. Oxalate is toxic in large amounts. However, veggies high in oxalates are not a problem as long as they are not fed frequently.

I don't know much about goitrogens, but I do know that they interfere with iodine intake.
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
Scincoides

Postby Scincoides » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:29 pm

Goitrogens prevent the thyroid from functioning correctly by preventing the body from absorbing iodine which can cause serious issues.
Austin & Danielle
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii

http://www.scincoides.com
megan91
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby megan91 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:54 pm

So would Collard Greens, Mustard Greens, Turnip Greens, and Watercress be considered more of an occasional instead of a staple since they are higher in Goitrogens?

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”