Suspected Gravid skink excreting yellow gelatin-like fluid?

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
dsteamn
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Re: Suspected Gravid skink excreting yellow gelatin-like flu

Postby dsteamn » Mon May 06, 2013 11:16 pm

I've also learned that there are no hard and fast rules to pregnancy. Sometimes shorter, sometimes longer. Has she shed recently? Mine usually shed two or three weeks before they deliver. Their colors are amazing after a pregnant shed, so vibrant and shiny.

Don't worry about not eating. That's really hard to do since there are no other animals we know of who go so long without food, especially when they are pregnant. But it really is very normal behavior. I promise you, they eat when they get hungry. Once they get so big, their digestive system shuts down and there's just no room for anything but babies. One year, my northern had apx. 90 inches of babies I her belly. Their lungs get pushed up so they breathe from their back rather than their sides.

The wait us grueling, but from what you are saying, it will be over soon. Be patient and have your camera ready. Mine have all dropped in the heat of the afternoon. Hopefully you will be home to see yours deliver.

Good luck.
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love

Postby StaceyLeigh » Tue May 07, 2013 5:58 am

Should have updated this post also. Check birth announcement in general forum. Calypso had 11 healthy babies on Monday 4/29. 133 day after last copulation, a bit of a wait, but well worth it :ohyes:
dsteamn
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby dsteamn » Sat May 18, 2013 11:31 pm

I'm so glad the wait is over for you. They get so uncomfortable towards the end. Its grueling having too wait and just watch. Congrats on the babies. Handle them as much as possible. They'll be sweeties for their new owners.

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”