BREEDING BEHAVIOR

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
kl
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

BREEDING BEHAVIOR

Postby kl » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:07 pm

I've written about this before. I've noticed over the last few yrs that when my blue tongues mate, the females expel fluid within seconds after they are done. I've even attempted to hold the females for a few minutes to distract them from doing it and they still do. I know it's impossible for them to remove all sperm but the more that stays in would seem to be better. This happens with all my females. Has anyone else seen this?

KL
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil

Re: BREEDING BEHAVIOR

Postby Katrina » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:08 pm

I've had this. Don't know enough to know if it correlates with # of babies or anything but I've definitely noticed this behavior.
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:33 pm

Katrina wrote:I've had this. Don't know enough to know if it correlates with # of babies or anything but I've definitely noticed this behavior.

How would it have anything to do with the number of babies if it is right after mating? Isn't that a little bit too soon to have anything regarding the number of babies happen?
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery

Postby Jeff » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:54 pm

xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:
Katrina wrote:I've had this. Don't know enough to know if it correlates with # of babies or anything but I've definitely noticed this behavior.

How would it have anything to do with the number of babies if it is right after mating? Isn't that a little bit too soon to have anything regarding the number of babies happen?

Huh? It would reduce the number of sperm in the female, so absolutely affect the probability of all the viable eggs inside of the female being fertilized. Don't they teach this in grade school anymore? Jk.

Kim, I tried something a little different this year, and had it happen ZERO times. It has always bugged me in the past too. I'm not sure if I figured out how to stop it because this is the first year I tried this, but I will email you about it.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
kl
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby kl » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:59 pm

I'm glad you answered that Jeff.

KL
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:06 pm

Jeff wrote:
xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:

Huh? It would reduce the number of sperm in the female, so absolutely affect the probability of all the viable eggs inside of the female being fertilized. Don't they teach this in grade school anymore? Jk.

Oh yeah...
Thanks!
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade

Postby El Lobo » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:02 pm

xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:How would it have anything to do with the number of babies if it is right after mating? Isn't that a little bit too soon to have anything regarding the number of babies happen?

Once upon a time there was a little girl bird and a little boy bird who fell in love and got married.....(to be continued).
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:42 am

mine expell straight after the deed,some even before its finished,i dont think its anything to be concerned about baby numbers wise,they probably just need a flush of sperm each time,they expell alot of fluid and they arent overly large in space to store all that

my worst 2 expellers last 2 seasons were kimberley northerns,but only because i have to pr them and watch,being northerns and nutty,lol

ones had 16 then 12 babies to same male,the other has had 7 then seven to a different male each season
dsteamn
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby dsteamn » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:19 pm

Mine have been breeding for three years and this always happens. Sometimes the male still excretes sperm after he withdraws, which looks like suds coming out. We have had successful breeds every time so a little extra spillage never seems to be a problem. Remember that one little drop has more than enough to go around for everyone.

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”