Please help, need advice!

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
Rdee3
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Please help, need advice!

Postby Rdee3 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:51 pm

Hi my name is Ryan about a month ago I got my first BTS and Im having a couple problems at the moment. Just within the last day or two he seems to have built up some mucus in his nostrils and hes having a hard time sneezing it out. You can hear it almost sounds like he struggling to do so and Im not sure if the humidity may be the cause or what. I thought the humidity was fine because my humidity gauge has been generally in between 20% and 40% but hes also had some trouble getting all his shed off his legs/feet and even his head and neck. Im not sure what to do and I would greatly appreciate any help or opinions on the matter. Thanks!
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade

Re: Please help, need advice!

Postby El Lobo » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:15 pm

Hi Ryan.

It is sounding like vet time if he has some kind of mucous built up in his nostrils which may well indicate a respiratory tract infection needing a course of antibiotics. They are obligate nose breathers so anything in the nostrils (including a foreign object) will restrict the volume of air to the lungs. Does he have any fluid bubbling around the mouth or eyes?

How are the temps in his enclosure, both the warm end and the cooler end? Too much variation can cause respiratory problems depending on which species you have; some are more susceptible than others. Raising the temp so that the minimum at the cool end is 30°C (86°F) and maintaining that 24/7 will help retain preferred body temperature until professional treatment can be sought.

Stuck shed can be eased off by a warm bath, again at around 30°C. Soak for 10-15 minutes and if the skin has loosened enough gently wipe it away, particularly the legs and feet, ensuring the water does not cool off too much whilst he is having respiratory issues.

Good luck.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
Rdee3
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Rdee3 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:31 am

Well, I had the temperature on the warm end at warm end about 95 degrees F with a tighter dome but I thought it might help to spread the heat more if I used a wider dome lamp and the temperature dropped to about 90-92 on the warm end. On the cool end the temp has stuck right around 80 degrees F. I will be calling a vet in the morning. Thank you very much for your help!
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Susann » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:38 pm

Thank you for taking your pet to the vet when told there might be a problem. Please let us know what you hear!
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”