breeding,cycling,pairing and all that thread

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
tiliqua
Blotched Bushman
Blotched Bushman

Re: breeding,cycling,pairing and all that thread

Postby tiliqua » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:29 am

G'day Richard. This is a good topic and discussion that you've started.
Can you or anyone else knowledgeable in such matters, please tell me when the Tiliqua nigrolutea female's breeding window is?
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:00 am

Theres no set date,i believe it goes off a certain minimum average temperature,mine have been awake for a while,outdoors kept,and the alpines are just starting now,early november,last year it was oct 2nd,year before it wasnt till the 2nd of december that mating started,so varies alot

Even indoors if they can sense coolness outside they can hold out until temps have risen a bit more consistantly,or if u can warm them enough day and night they will often mate quite soon after warming them,making waking males earlier more important so there shed cycle is timed right with a cycling female as they need to shed before they show any interest in females generally
tiliqua
Blotched Bushman
Blotched Bushman

Postby tiliqua » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:52 am

Thanks very much Richard. So the window when fertilization can occur, varies considerably depending on seasonal variations.
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:19 am

Correct,they need full on cooling for brumation,and after that"once temps get to a certain temp consistently,females will cycle

If kept outdoors its easy,mother nature does it for you,if indoors its trickier to get the sexes to coincide,depending on conditions,if warm enough straight away its best to wake males up earlier than females to ket them shed in time ti coincide with females window,around ten to 15 days earlier,if not in high enough temps straight away thats nit as important,they will hold out till average temos high enough
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:52 am

When trying to witness mating,and get pics seperate housing of sexes is best,ive sat for hours with mine this season and have missed a bit of action,probably done when im not around

Different with the northerns as i have to introduce them

I wanted to see westerns mate,only thing i saw was male grab at female a couple of times tentativly,the females pretty shy and often dont do much when im watching,shes gotsomeshoulder scuffing butnothing serious,males got some to,apoarently female have a habit of telling them off though,lol,so time will tell,she looks to be bulking up though

Only issue with looking for shoulder scuffing is not all females cop it,i have a few that drop bubs and they never get shoulder scuffing,blotchies inparticular,some get roughed up,some dont look touched,yet have same sized litters,always keeping you guessing

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”