Pneumonia problem

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
Stella the BTS
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Pneumonia problem

Postby Stella the BTS » Mon May 28, 2012 2:04 pm

Hi all,
recently, my BTS was diagnosed with pneumonia, and as veterinarians over here are not educated to handle with reptiles, there hasn't been a good advice that could help her. Her vet told me to give her Ceftriaxone on a daily basis for 1 week, but it's been a week now and I can not see any progress. We dont even know if it's fungal or bacterial. what shall I do? :(
Karen
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Re: Pneumonia problem

Postby Karen » Mon May 28, 2012 2:32 pm

I had my own dealings with pneumonia when I got my rescue skink and it took a long time for her to recover from it. I was giving her a daily oral medication and injection every three days for a month. It might be worth emailing a vet that has more reptile experience and seeing if they might be willing to get in contact with your vet to give recommendations as to other medications and treatments.
• 0.1.0 Merauke - Sylvia
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
Stella the BTS
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Stella the BTS » Mon May 28, 2012 3:07 pm

Do you know any good vet whom I can contact?
Kbell31
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby Kbell31 » Mon May 28, 2012 4:27 pm

Im sorry to hear this, I wish I could help you but I am not familiar with pneumonia treatments - wish you the best!
When life gets difficult, always remember you are being planted NOT buried!
Karen
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby Karen » Mon May 28, 2012 5:14 pm

http://www.arav.org/ECOMARAV/timssnet/c ... ntpage.cfm - This is the first site I would go to since it lists only accredited reptile vets. You can do a search under member directory.

http://www.herpvetconnection.com/ - This is more a vet review site where people write about experiences with various vets.

http://exoticbirdhospital.com/ - This is the vet I took Sylvia to, and she was seen by Dr. Annie Massey.

I hope these sites might let you find some help.
• 0.1.0 Merauke - Sylvia
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil

Postby Katrina » Mon May 28, 2012 5:48 pm

Have you talked to your vet about this? I would consult your vet and see if they advise a different treatment. I don't know of any vets in your area, so working with that one or else calling around to different ones in your area is your best bet. You will need someone local to prescribe any medications. Good luck!

What were the symptoms?
Stella the BTS
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Stella the BTS » Tue May 29, 2012 1:34 am

Thank you all for your replies.
I noticed it when her breathing became so noticeable. Since I gave her the shots, the heavy breathing is nearly gone but she has still little problem in her breathing. I think I should contact the vet again. :(
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil

Postby Katrina » Tue May 29, 2012 9:40 am

They aren't the quietest breathers. If it is a slight whistle it is probably completely normal. If there is bubbling / crackling / wheezing - as if there is fluid in the lungs that air is passing through, then it is an issue. But a whistle or slight wheeze is completely normal, many of mine have this. If you're unsure then definitely talk to your vet again.
Stella the BTS
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Stella the BTS » Tue May 29, 2012 2:40 pm

Hopefully, there are no bubbles. I called the vet, and he told me to keep on giving shots for another 4 days, then we should get another X ray to see the progress.

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”