gravid blue tongued skink question

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
Farli
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

gravid blue tongued skink question

Postby Farli » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:15 am

I have a gravid female who had 2 babies 2 days ago. She didn't have more and honestly I didn't know she was gravid. I was worried, and so since I work for a vet I took a digital xray and now know she has 11 left inside...how long should I wait to see if she has more before I get worried? There is no info online about this ...any help is greatly appreciated...by the way, she is currently in a dark quiet place by herself. The vets I work with do not work with exotic pets and therefore have no info for me.
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery

Re: gravid blue tongued skink question

Postby Jeff » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:42 am

BTS do sometimes have a litter spaced out over a couple days. It is not the norm, and it is actually fairly uncommon. I have had a female give birth to 2 still-born twins, then give birth to a few live babies a couple weeks later. I have also had a healthy large litter, then another single live baby born 15 days later. Those are my only two experiences with it though. I don't think there is really much you can do other than surgery, which I would not recommend. Chances are she will deliver the rest of the babies very soon.

Did you recently acquire this female already gravid?
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
Farli
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Farli » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:03 am

No.....I have had her for around 3years... I got another "female" about 6 months ago.....neither have big heads, or display any aggressive behavior. I never saw any mating either. My gravid one is a pig, so she had always been a little on the chunkier side....I just never weighed them and I guess I should from now on.....
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower

Postby Linnea » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:27 pm

(big heads is not a sign of gender on bts. the only way to visually guess the gender on a bts is to see a picture from straigh above and compare the overall look together - even then it can be wrong.)
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:20 pm

some u cant even tell what sex they are even in person,your 2 females are obviously not,lol,unless ones name is mary and it has had a immaculate conception :lol:

blueys normally givebirth to all on the same day,though as jeff mentioned,there are exceptions,why have u got her in a dark spot,she can still be in her usual spot with heat lights as normal,so she can regulate her body temp,the darkness could be stressing her,and if temps arent available to thermoregulate on top of that,that could prolong her having the rest

my suggestion is keep her as u normally do ,shes comfy there and in a familiar spot,other wise try and set her up with similar conditions in regards to light and heat ect

sometimes they can have difficulties giving birth,especially if there are unfertilised ova in the mix,its always a stressful time for them,so no need to add more stress to them,just watch her for a few days and if they dont come perhaps theres a difficulty they may need veteniry assistance,the longer they are in there,the more risk there is to mother and babies

i let mine have babies in with the male/s other females other species to,usually thats fine to do to

good luck with them,would love to see pics of your animals to and please keep us posted on how she goes,its an exciting,plus stressful time waiting on babies,lol

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”