Article discussion - stones for digestion

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil

Article discussion - stones for digestion

Postby Katrina » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:56 pm

I was recently PMd a link to an article from Vegasarah (thanks!). The interesting point that she noted was that at the end of the article it mentioned in the "fun facts" that BTS will ingest small stones to aid in digestion. I have heard of this with other lizards, but never for BTS. It definitely isn't a good idea to allow them to eat stones due to impaction risks, but I was wondering what others thought, especially the Australians. Think this might be true? Or is this misinformation?

I know lots of us have seen blueys try to eat stones...

http://www.rosamondgiffordzoo.org/asset ... dSkink.pdf
Kbell31
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Re: Article discussion - stones for digestion

Postby Kbell31 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:47 pm

Birds do this too. And arent reptiles supposedly derived from birds? Or is it the other way around? It is difficult to know exactly what animals do in their natural environment.
When life gets difficult, always remember you are being planted NOT buried!
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade

Postby El Lobo » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:21 am

No real idea about blueys swallowing stones but seed-eating birds do, although they are retained in the crop.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
Alioop
Loopy De Loop
Loopy De Loop

Postby Alioop » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:57 am

That link doesn't work Kat... Ironic though, Rosamond-Gifford zoo is here in Syracuse!
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-Alie-

1.0 Irian Jaya
1.1 Easterns
Alioop
Loopy De Loop
Loopy De Loop

Postby Alioop » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:01 am

Nvrmind, I found it: http://www.rosamondgiffordzoo.org/asset ... dSkink.pdf

I looked through the bibliography and this is the only article that mentioned swallowing stones: http://www.oaklandzoo.org/site/animals/ ... gued-skink
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-Alie-

1.0 Irian Jaya
1.1 Easterns
Vegasarah
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Vegasarah » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:02 pm

I just thought that was interesting... As I told Katrina, I have seen Rocket try to eat some small stones in the garden. I always stopped her and summed it up to her being a fatty, but maybe there is some merit to this? :)
Jambi
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Jambi » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:22 am

Last summer I had my IJ, who was a baby at the time, out in the yard, and he picked up a small rock, which I removed, but then he ate another one right as I put him back down and it was gone before I could retrieve it. I found it last week while changing his substrate :shock: :lol:
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan

Postby Spindown » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:43 am

Last summer I had my IJ, who was a baby at the time, out in the yard, and he picked up a small rock, which I removed, but then he ate another one right as I put him back down and it was gone before I could retrieve it. I found it last week while changing his substrate

:rofl:
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
hurricanejen
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby hurricanejen » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:05 am

Vegasarah wrote:I just thought that was interesting... As I told Katrina, I have seen Rocket try to eat some small stones in the garden. I always stopped her and summed it up to her being a fatty, but maybe there is some merit to this? :)

My northerns will continually try and eat rocks, but like you I always attributed it to them being absolute pigs.
I used to be cool.

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”