New Bluey, Illness

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
Suffredini
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

New Bluey, Illness

Postby Suffredini » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:32 am

Hey, I just found a bluey in my yard, pretty badly beaten up. Looks like he had been attacked by something.
His attitude is good, but he wont eat, ( had him for a few hours now) he has a liquid discharge with frothy bubbles coming from his eyes and his eyes look like they have receeded into his sockets a bit, I gave him a salt bath to try and wash stuff out. I have two vets here but I don't know if they will do anything. I've read around and it sounds like he could have an infection that needs antibiotics, and I don't know if i can get that to him. Any ideas and help would be wonderful. thanks.
His injuries include missing 90% of his tail, his front right foot is pretty flattened but he still uses it with strength and two huge scabs under his chin. the injuries seem quite old, having scabbed and healed over. but his foot worries me. It looks like his toes are weird angles when you look from above, but turn his foot and you see its been sqaushed. it doesn't seem to bother him, but it could possible have caused blood poisoning. I just hope my vets say they can look at him.
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade

Re: New Bluey, Illness

Postby El Lobo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:51 am

What part of the country are you?

The best option would be to contact a local wildlife rescue organisation who should have access to a vet. From what you describe I would suggest the bluey has been attacked by a cat. The scabs under the jaw sound like puncture wounds caused by a cat's teeth. It is most likely it has a fairly severe bacterial infection from the cesspit that is a cat's mouth.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
Alioop
Loopy De Loop
Loopy De Loop

Re: New Bluey, Illness

Postby Alioop » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:16 am

Agreed. I think this bluey's condition is beyond your help and so getting him into the hands of an experienced reptile vet should be your #1 priority. Lobo might know the specifics better than I, but Aus has some pretty strict laws about removing wildlife and keeping it as a pet, so turning him over to a wildlife rescue is probably a safer option for you as well.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-Alie-

1.0 Irian Jaya
1.1 Easterns

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”