Runny feces?

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
Agonistes
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Runny feces?

Postby Agonistes » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:21 am

My skink has had runny feces for a few months now, I tried editing his diet--but nothing seems to be working. I was wondering if anyone would give me any insight on why his feces could possibly be runny.

Some information:
Every-other day feedings of 1/3 can of Blue Buffalo chicken style.
Constant supply of a large water-dish.
Supplementation/Calcium with meals.

If I forgot to mention something, please ask!

Also, I posted here a long time ago about the temperament of my skink--he's still very angry and doesn't like anyone, but me, touching him.
Nae
Forum Graphic Designer
Forum Graphic Designer

Postby Nae » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:12 am

While Im not too sure if it could be the cause, does he ever receive any vegetables in his diet?
Agonistes
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Agonistes » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:26 am

He does not, I was told by my breeder that the Blue Buffalo brand cat food had enough veggies in it. Although, if you think it will help I will add some vegetables to his diet (it should be easy enough considering I also have a bearded dragon that gets fresh veggies.)

What veggies would you suggest? Right now I feed my beardie a selection of carrots and mustard/collard greens.
Coomassie
The Inked Chemist
The Inked Chemist

Postby Coomassie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:52 am

He probably isn't getting enough fiber. You can feed mustard/collard greens, squash, carrots, etc. There is a list around here somewhere of veggies that are good for them. Just mix the greens up with the cat food and serve!
Cay T.
Nae
Forum Graphic Designer
Forum Graphic Designer

Postby Nae » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:56 am

Since you got him from Ray, I am very hesitant to question his advice. But, runny feces is quite often the result of a lack of fiber, and looking at the Blue Buffalo website, fiber is something the foods dont seem to have much of. I am also thinking that when young, blueys require more protein then anything - So while the high protein in the Blue Buffalo would have been good for a young one, as he has gotten older he would require more veggies - Perhaps thats what Ray meant when he said that the cat food alone had enough veggies? As in its fine for him while he is little?

I certainly dont see the harm in adding in some veggies - There is a list of good ones in the caresheet :D

But! Since this is what you were told by Ray, I would probably suggest perhaps waiting for a more experienced member.
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman

Postby Bird_Brain » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:46 pm

As you mentioned, it is definitely no risk in adding veggies to see if that will help. If not, Ray is very dedicated and offers advice way past purchase. Im sure he would be happy to talk with you about this.

Lastly, consider getting a fecal exam done. Even though I am sure Ray's blueys are clean, its nice to just rule it out. The skinks can pick up parasites from being outside (just like every other animals, dogs, cats, humans, etc).

I have offered in the past with minimal interest to do free fecal exams. Yes, I am not a veterinarian, just a hobbyist who has previously worked at a vet office. I have messed with more poop than I would like to admit ;) . But if you are interested, send me a pm. The only cost would be the stamp to mail the sample.
Brad
Agonistes
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Agonistes » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:19 pm

I'm going to add some fiber to his diet and see if I notice a change. If not, I will take further action. Thanks for the assistance!
Coomassie
The Inked Chemist
The Inked Chemist

Postby Coomassie » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:46 am

ReptileKing wrote:I have offered in the past with minimal interest to do free fecal exams. Yes, I am not a veterinarian, just a hobbyist who has previously worked at a vet office. I have messed with more poop than I would like to admit ;) . But if you are interested, send me a pm. The only cost would be the stamp to mail the sample.

Is that open to any species? We just acquired a rescue tokay....
Cay T.
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman

Postby Bird_Brain » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:49 am

Coomassie wrote:
ReptileKing wrote:I have offered in the past with minimal interest to do free fecal exams. Yes, I am not a veterinarian, just a hobbyist who has previously worked at a vet office. I have messed with more poop than I would like to admit ;) . But if you are interested, send me a pm. The only cost would be the stamp to mail the sample.

Is that open to any species? We just acquired a rescue tokay....

Yeah, just not humans. lol
Brad
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade

Postby El Lobo » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:04 am

I would seriously consider having the skink checked by a reptile vet or at the very least having a faecal test done to eliminate the possibility of parasites. Runny as opposed to soft faeces could also mean losing hydration. As the condition has been ongoing for a few months it does suggest something is not right within the gut. It could be something as basic as micro-flora imbalance or more complicated like enteritis. All species (including humans) can suffer from this condition from time to time but it is more serious if it is prolonged, as suggested in this case.

It may even be worthwhile changing off a chicken based cat food to a good quality beef based dog food for a few days to see if it makes any difference. I note on the Blue Buffalo website the cat food is only 10% minimum crude protein plus 6.5% minimum fat but 78% moisture. This is a personal view but I would rather have more protein and less moisture in the diet for a young growing skink and definitely add some of the greens others have suggested. I am not so sure about trying to increase the fibre too quickly although that cat food is only 1% which is probably too low. Fibre is an intestinal stimulant and if the skink is already feeling discomfort more fibre may exacerbate the condition.

Good luck.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
Agonistes
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Agonistes » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:25 am

Where I live I don't really have the luxury of a pet store nearby, I have to drive two hours to get to the nearest one and I usually stock up when I'm there. He has a rather large water dish that he can soak in, although I've never seen him actually soak in it. I was using Wellness brand, but the skink prefers the "chunky" looking food over the normal-looking cat food style with the SPAM-like texture. He grew extremely fast, and he's over a year old--I really don't know the cut-off date for "young growing skink," but he's 23 1/2 inches.
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil

Postby Katrina » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:06 am

Like others said, I would strongly recommend getting a fecal test done. I had one rescue that I thought had runny feces due to either antibiotics, stress or a change in diet. After the course of antibiotics there was no improvement so I had the vet check a fecal sample. After a course of dewormer there have been no more issues.
Agonistes
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Agonistes » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:17 pm

What's the easiest way to get a fecal done at my local rep vet? Should I just... stick it in a bag? O,o
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil

Postby Katrina » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:23 pm

Haha - yeah, get a fresh sample, stick it in a bag and plastic bag and either drop it off right away or refrigerate until you can drop it off. Don't let it dry out.

And definitely take advantage of Brad's offer as well! If anyone is unsure, it is easy to get a sample, seal it in a ziplock baggie and mail it to him. I have done this all the way from Canada to the states. Doing this for free is a generous offer. :D
Nae
Forum Graphic Designer
Forum Graphic Designer

Postby Nae » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:28 am

I wonder if I can send poop from Aus.... :lol:
critterguy
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby critterguy » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:45 am

I know this is OT-but that sounds like a really big boy at 23.5!
Agonistes
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Agonistes » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:19 am

critterguy wrote:I know this is OT-but that sounds like a really big boy at 23.5!

He's very fat too, I'ma go get him a check-up because I think he's a little overweight. Also, an update, he's doing fine now. I added some finely chopped mustard greens to his diet and everything is doing great now. Thanks for all the help!

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”