Gravid female going off food?

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
Otter
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Gravid female going off food?

Postby Otter » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:34 am

I am on day 101 of a hopefully successful mating. From some of the information here it seems that the female will go off food for a time before she delivers.

My girl still is eating like a horse now I am wondering if she is gravid or just getting obese.

I know every animal is different so was wondering do some females eat right up until they deliver?

These would be my first BT babies the waiting thing is making me crazy.

John
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery

Re: Gravid female going off food?

Postby Jeff » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:35 pm

Otter wrote:...I know every animal is different so was wondering do some females eat right up until they deliver?...

That's the key. They are all different. Most of mine don't eat much of anything for the first month after mating, but then start eating again. I have a couple that seem to just eat normally the whole time. I think going off food is probably a good sign, but not going off doesn't really mean anything at all.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:23 pm

i agree with jeff,i have some that eat well right through,but also have some that eat alot,but only small amounts,a slow down towards the end is a good sign,and if well nourished some females will stop altogether late in there gravid state,my old alpine female does this,as do a couple of others,but most still eat a little even leading up to dropping bubs
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics

Postby Fatal_S » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:16 pm

My one female showed no signs and had 6 randomly, and my other possibly gravid female is fat even though she didn't eat for over a month, and now she's ravenous. I'll cross my fingers for you if you do the same for me :D
Otter
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Otter » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:26 am

Hey Jeff thanks thats what I was thinking.

Seems I always want to look for a sure sign but know that every animal will do there own thing. So will just keep waiting here.

Fatal good luck with yours too maybe will both be able to post pic's of some new little ones soon,

John

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”