Responses to handing/apparent predators

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
critterguy
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Responses to handing/apparent predators

Postby critterguy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:45 am

Thought I'd split this one off from the other thread.

BTS response to handling
we can assume habituated skinks are not seriously stressed by handling.
http://www.journals.elsevierhealth.com/ ... S/abstract

But on the occasion skinks do displays signs of stress/threat including(arranged in what seems to be escalating threat)

-Huffing
-body flattened, pointed towards threat(similar to "shield" response in Phrynosoma)
-open mouth huffing -flickering tongue display
-open mouth lunging -wide open mouth tongue display

Whats curious is that most of us have not had the priviledge of seeing the last...seems that behavior is confined only to wild skinks.

Thoughts?
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery

Postby Jeff » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:07 am

Baby northerns frequently give full on displays with mouth wide open and the tongue completely unrolled and wagging just like you have seen in videos of wild skinks. Most of them seem to lose the desire to do this in a few days to a week, and it's kind of sad because it is one of the coolest looking things they do. I have one extra small baby this year that still does it every time I get near him though. He is probably my favorite. :lol:

I am also very surprised that my shinglebacks, which are the least defensive skinks I have, will give genuine displays when I move toward them after they have been outside for 5-10 minutes. Not just once in awhile, nearly evry time. Being out there definitely triggers something in them very quickly. I only wish I had a quick camera so I could get good pictures of it because each "lunge" only lasts a second or two, and I can't get it with my ancient piece of junk.

These displays by the shinglebacks are extremely interesting too. In my animals they appear to be strictly "display only". I can pick them up while they are displaying, and they make no attempt to bite me. They continue the display for the normal 1-2 seconds, just as they do when I don't pick them up. After the display is over, they are the same calm gentle skinks they always are. I have never had them start a display while in my hand. It is just like the difference between a cage aggressive animal inside its cage and outside its cage. I have also NEVER had any of them display inside under any circumstances. Only the shingles are affected dramatically. Being outside does not have much affect on any of my other skinks.

I really need to video this because it is pretty cool to see. I am just horrible at getting the video from my camera posted online, so it is a pretty major project for me.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
Nae
Forum Graphic Designer
Forum Graphic Designer

Postby Nae » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:55 pm

Come summer, I could easily get a video of a wild shingle gaping, lunging, hissing etc, if anyones interested?
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott

Postby Scotts1au » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:44 pm

Sub-adult blotched in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4bhNpknz_4
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
Alioop
Loopy De Loop
Loopy De Loop

Postby Alioop » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:33 am

Good one Scott!
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-Alie-

1.0 Irian Jaya
1.1 Easterns
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:47 am

Has anyone seen a gigas skink to a full tongue display? :/
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
Gene0514
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Gene0514 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:19 pm

My baby IJ does huff, lunge and flash his tongue sometimes if I try to pick him up, but he's getting better.
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan

Postby Spindown » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:00 pm

wow that was interesting! My I.J. will gape but he doesnt stick out his tongue like that, very cool (poor angry skink lol).
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Nae
Forum Graphic Designer
Forum Graphic Designer

Postby Nae » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:46 am

Something just struck me as rather odd.. Mazi used to live outside 24/7 in a MASSIVE bird aviary, full of logs and rocks and plants etc etc, yet he was never aggressive. But, like Scotts Blotchie, when you place some outside, they go from sweet to wild. Why was Mazi fine? Could it just be ones that are kept indoors primarily? Does anyone else keep theirs outdoors 24/7 and experience any aggression?
James Wilson
The Mentor
The Mentor

Postby James Wilson » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:21 pm

xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:Has anyone seen a gigas skink to a full tongue display? :/

My 27 inch Merauke faded Gigas did, and it got her on the cover of the November 2001 issue of reptiles magazine for the article I did back then. I was also happy to get the centerfold as well. The photo shoot was a lot of work, and fun.

James Wilson
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:07 pm

Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
tiliqua38
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby tiliqua38 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:07 am

I remember that Reptiles issue!! That was ten years ago?? It's amazing how time flies.

My IJ has never showed any defensive behaviors at all. He has been laid back from the day I brought him home 12 years ago. But he was not a baby when I acquired him.
mixed breed - Cocoa RIP
shih tzu - Gizmo
Chihuahua - Marley
terrier/Chihuahua mix - Kendra
tortie cat - Angel RIP
black cat - Jake RIP
Irian Jaya BTS - Bubba
2 Leopard geckos - Bert and Ernie
Three toed/gulf coast integrade box turtle - Peanut
Three toed box turtle - Pebbles
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys

Postby Lea » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:38 am

I have a video of lizzie, a shingleback, having a real paddy in the outdoor enclosure. I'll look it up when I get home. Usually the laziest of the bunch and wouldn't rise to anything unless food was involved, lol, she could still throw a good old wobbly, Tongue flaring, mouth gaped and looked quite a wild animal- even though she has been in captivity her entire life.

Instinct is still strong, it can't be domesticated out of them, which makes them fantastic and fascinating creatures.
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
Lauriek
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby Lauriek » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:34 pm

If my shingles have been out in the garden for an hour or so and I go to pick them up, I get the defensive behaviour. Yet they are very gentle when in their cage. They have never bitten me but the blotchies have, especially Barnum and Bliss. Bliss & I go snail hunting and she's quite happy to be picked up when I have to put her back in her cage. Bailey just wants to run away. Balto's too small to do anything but baby blotchie jaws can be quite strong ! :lol:
Laurie & A Band O' Blotchies - Bliss (RIP). Barnum the Old Blotchie. Binti, the rescued Blotchie. The Shingles - Solomon & Sheba (Miss Houdini)

Be humble, because you are made of the Earth. Be noble, because you are made of the Stars. - Serbian proverb.
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:15 am

ImageImageImageImage

some westerns and blotchys displaying,i find juvies are worst for it,generally grow out of it with age as they get accustomed to u,even outdoors kept ones
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade

Postby El Lobo » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:24 pm

Love those pics Richard.

We have had 2 litters of wild blotchies I know of in our backyard in the past few years. The first young ones were probably a few weeks old and very laid back, but the second when we found them were only just born and they were really feisty. They spun around with the hiss and lunge as soon as they saw a hand.

There was another a few years ago who was probably 1-2 years old and liked to warm himself on our driveway. I learned very quickly not to try and pick him up, he had real attitude.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott

Postby Scotts1au » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:06 pm

I find that males are often the more aggressive as adults, some bad ass girl ones though. haha
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”