Anybody have any suggestions

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
kl
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Anybody have any suggestions

Postby kl » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:34 am

3 weeks ago, one of my blotched gave birth to 2 babies. One was still born and the other is not thriving. It rarely moves around, refuses all solid food (it licks it a bit) and overall feels very limp and bloated. In picking it up and gently squeezing it's stomach, large amounts of fluid came out it's vent the other day. I don't know if it has edema from possible genetic defects of an organ or maybe impaction when it ate it's placenta off the substrate. Anyone have any ideas?

Kim
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery

Postby Jeff » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:30 pm

Sorry to hear the baby is still not doing well Kim. I have nothing to offer in the way of advice, but have you checked with a vet yet?
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott

Postby Scotts1au » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:54 pm

I've heard other people talk about failure to thrive in alpines - some are very slow to start eating. I have found a few tips to getting them to start:

-Let them lick up some raw egg (or syringe it slowly into the mouth).
-Make some scrambled egg ( no milk butter etc)
-Crush up a snail from the garden - chop it up with a knife (the smell seems to have a stimulating effect)

I have also found that raising the temperature to a constant 33C helps and don't allow the temp to fall too much at night. Their bodies are tuned to not want to eat if they are not confident that temps are going to stay warm enough to support them digesting their food - remember they come from a cool climate but respond well to hot conditions.

Another tip, I find the range 23C at night and 33C during the day to be the best all round. When they think it is summer, they feed better in the morning once warmed up - effectively they become crepuscular in summer.

What substrate were you using? I recommend that newborns are kept only on newspaper etc for a few weeks, next best is recycled paper, definitely not on woodchips, hard shavings or bark as the diameter of their intestines is tiny. I had one die from being on compressed rice hull cat litter (this is a real don't). Went on for a long time - the vet did suggest that there was a possibility of giving it an enema but it was too late.

I have heard of success with people giving animals with blockages, Olive oil to help objects slip out. It does sound like a potential blockage to me.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
critterguy
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby critterguy » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:58 pm

wonder if it is septicemia perhaps from being with the stillborn baby. This is total speculation. I'd agree with Jeff sounds like a vet is in order here.
kl
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby kl » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:22 pm

Typically I do cover the substrate prior to giving birth. This one caught me by surprise because I was not expecting anything for at least another month. It was born on cypress mulch which can be as bad as any substrate if ingested. I did not take the animal to the vet because it is so small I doubt any vet in my area has the expertise to do much. If it has impaction, it's too young for surgery and unlikely anything outside of vomiting it out will help. I am keeping it hot and trying to at least get liquids in it.

Kim
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:20 pm

i had a similar case with a premature litter once kim,only 2 were born alive,a few born dead and quite a few slugs,the babbies appeared translucent,color hadnt developed,unfortunatly i couldnt get the 2 live ones to thrive and lost them with in 2 months of birth,there was no fluid coming from them though,sounds like you are doing all you can,mine didnt want to eat either,but would drink a bit,good luck,hopefully the lil tyke comes good
kl
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby kl » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:17 pm

I was away for 2 weeks on a family vacation and while I was gone the baby blotched did die. It now looks like I'll have 0 blotched babies this season.

Kim
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil

Postby Katrina » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:26 pm

So sorry to hear that. Sounds like it was only a matter of time. :( Hope you have better luck next year!
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery

Postby Jeff » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:04 am

I'm really sorry to hear that Kim. I know this year has been terrible for your blotched, but I am quite sure that it will be the exception. You had so many challenges this year, that it would have been a miracle if you ended up with many babies.

I am confident that next year will go much smoother, and you will have so many babies that you will have to sell them at a discounted price. :wink:
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:12 pm

bummer kim,theres always next season mate,like jeff said,im confident it will all work out next season,your holdbacks if u still have them will probably be of size to join the efforts there to

how did that adult female go ,is she back to normal
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys

Postby Lea » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:15 am

Sorry to read this, Kim. I have an eastern that was a runt and has kind of failed to thrive most of her life. She's two and a half, has a cleft palate, gets recurrent aspiration pneumonia and only weighs 190g. She's going through another bad patch right now and each time it seems she won't make it. I think I am going to lose the battle one of these days, so I still believe it's o ly a matter of time for a lot of the little ones. I sort of have a grip on most her issues, but apart from a cleft palate, there seem no pathological reasons for her intermittent spells of ill healthY. Nature just seems to weed out the weaker ones- as a human, I find accepting that pretty tough and as long as estrella keeps fighting, I won't give up either.

I suspect she has had a lung deformity from birth, too and maybe even some congenital liver or kidney disease. Without putting her through a heap of stress, there isn't much way to know until she decides enough is enough and donates her little self to science. Sounds morbid, but I'm sure shell have plenty to teach us.
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
Lauriek
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby Lauriek » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:36 pm

Sorry to hear the sad news.
Laurie & A Band O' Blotchies - Bliss (RIP). Barnum the Old Blotchie. Binti, the rescued Blotchie. The Shingles - Solomon & Sheba (Miss Houdini)

Be humble, because you are made of the Earth. Be noble, because you are made of the Stars. - Serbian proverb.

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”