UPDATED: Dorothy's Scales (DUW)

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
zakkhogan
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

UPDATED: Dorothy's Scales (DUW)

Postby zakkhogan » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:45 pm

Here are the close ups of Dorothy's scales,

When i saw her in the shop last week i suspected mites due to the uplifted scales, The shop keep was convinced it was just layers of stuck shed constricting the scales, needless to say he wanted to keep hold of her for 1 week,

Now she's here and we've hada proper look at her she dosnt appear to have mites, we are bathing to help whit the shed.

She was kept with 2 males in the store, but it was clear to see that the 3 had been together before they endup at the shop (which brings me to the next bit)

Her size and weight seem odd, she looks quite big but yet seem strangly light to pick up, My partner asked the shop of the possibility of her being gravid and he replyed 'probable'

She is only young (i would guess at around a year) can she get pregnant at this age? if so what complcation can occur because of her age?

I pulled this through, as i thought it was relevent to this post,

Katrina wrote::D Yay! Another bluey!

Scale damage could be from biting / mating. Just a possibility.
Last edited by zakkhogan on Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
**Craig (Zakkhogan) Bowers**

Name: Angus Specie: IJ Length 19 inches Weight 520 - 524 Grams Gender: Male Age: 2 (approx)

Name: Dorothy Specie: IJ Gender: Female Weight 239 Age:1 (approx)

............................"Nothing is Impossible" - Christopher Reeve
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott

Postby Scotts1au » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:04 am

They are fight marks on the head, but the back looks a little like scale rot. Keep clean and dry, some antibacterial cream (even something as simple as savlon) works well and the scales will grow back after a couple of sheds, but will have some scarring.

It may have resulted from infection following physical damage. Always greater potential for infection if kept in a shared enclosure even if they don't fight.

You may also find that some patches of scales shed off completely after a shed but they will grow back.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
Coomassie
The Inked Chemist
The Inked Chemist

Postby Coomassie » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:04 pm

I can't say anything about the back scales although I would watch closely for mites, just to be on the safe side. Coomassie has similar scale damage on his head. He some times has a little trouble shedding on the top of his head but other than that, it doesn't cause any problems.
Cay T.
zakkhogan
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby zakkhogan » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:21 am

We' ve (my wonderfull girlfriend) been administing Savlon on a daily basis ( thanks to scott) and well.... have a look for youselves :)

The Tail and hands came off in full scaring the the living day lights out of me,

The Result....

And all this happend this morning

Name: Angus Specie: IJ Length 19 inches Weight 520 - 524 Grams Gender: Male Age: 2 (approx)

Nae
Forum Graphic Designer
Forum Graphic Designer

Postby Nae » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:06 am

When I scrolled down, the first thing I saw was the full tail - gave me quite start! I thought she had lost her entire tail or something :shock:

She looks much better, good job!
zakkhogan
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby zakkhogan » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:04 am

Nae wrote:When I scrolled down, the first thing I saw was the full tail - gave me quite start! I thought she had lost her entire tail or something :shock:

She looks much better, good job!

When i 1st saw it i thougt the same!!!

Roheryn
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby Roheryn » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:23 am

She looks so much better!! What a change :love:
each day's a gift, not a given right.
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower

Postby Linnea » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:01 am

i almost had a heart attack when i saw the tail photo o____o; dont scare me like that....

but that shed was awesome! and it looks so much better now : D im sure the skink is very pleased as well.
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics

Postby Fatal_S » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:08 pm

She must be feeling awesome after a great shed like that!
critterguy
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby critterguy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:37 pm

Is their any other explanation for raised/weird scales? My guy has a row or two of raised scales under each forearm. Its been two sheds and they have not changed. I should get some photos.
Nae
Forum Graphic Designer
Forum Graphic Designer

Postby Nae » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:37 pm

critterguy wrote:Is their any other explanation for raised/weird scales? My guy has a row or two of raised scales under each forearm. Its been two sheds and they have not changed. I should get some photos.

Since I obtained Mazi after he was rendered unable to return to the wild after a dog attack, he had quite a few messed up scales on the side of his neck which didnt shed out for five years. Thats the only information that I can give, is that if he was injured it can take quite some time.
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan

Postby Spindown » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:47 pm

Oh geez the tail pic freaked me out too lol
how many stuck sheds do you think that was?
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
critterguy
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby critterguy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:35 pm

Nae: I take it the scales never healed? These ones I'm not sure how he got them perhaps from rubbing his arms somehow in the smaller cage? The scales are raised and the edges seem to point the opposite direction(seems they somehow got folded backward). Nothing else seems to be wrong-no swelling and they've remained the same for two sheds now.
zakkhogan
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby zakkhogan » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:58 am

critterguy wrote:Nae: I take it the scales never healed? These ones I'm not sure how he got them perhaps from rubbing his arms somehow in the smaller cage? The scales are raised and the edges seem to point the opposite direction(seems they somehow got folded backward). Nothing else seems to be wrong-no swelling and they've remained the same for two sheds now.

Hey Critter, you'er best starting a new thread so you get fresh views from people you havnt seen this one, Also some pics would help,

Nae
Forum Graphic Designer
Forum Graphic Designer

Postby Nae » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:48 am

critterguy wrote:Nae: I take it the scales never healed? These ones I'm not sure how he got them perhaps from rubbing his arms somehow in the smaller cage? The scales are raised and the edges seem to point the opposite direction(seems they somehow got folded backward). Nothing else seems to be wrong-no swelling and they've remained the same for two sheds now.

They did eventually heal, but it took 5 years for them to become anywhere near normal, and even then if you knew about it you could still see where the injuries were.

But I agree with zakk - Open up a new thread with some pics :wink: As I cant offer anymore other then my experience, someone else may be able to help, as many people dont follow the advance discussion thread (heck, I dont even know how I ended up here :doh: Although Im glad I did, as I find it amazing how gorgeous Dorothy has become after just a shed! ) Although if it isnt swollen or anything, Id say they would just be some odd scales =D

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”