Stepped on blue tongue will he he ok

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
Splintax01
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Stepped on blue tongue will he he ok

Postby Splintax01 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:38 pm

my brother stepped on my blue tongues abdomen around the middle, not too hard as he lifted his foot after realising he was there

Lizard seemed ok initially, then it began hissing and acting as if he was in pain, became droopy and his tongue was hanging out of his mouth. I took him to two vets both of which don’t handle lizards and my only option is leave him in his tank with heat lamps on

He seems to be doing better now, eyes open and moving around slightly. There’s no signs of blood or injury just how he’s acting. He seems to be in a bit of pain still and he seems to be unable to move his back legs

Will he be alright? What should I do to help and how do I tell what’s wrong with him if anything or if he was just in shock?
kingofnobbys
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Re: Stepped on blue tongue will he he ok

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:22 am

A human (even a child) stepping on a skink the size of even an adult BTS , even if they don't put their entire weight on them can do very serious injuries to the skinks internal organs and break bones.

Yes we've had this happen in our house with a bearded dragon (fortunately the tail was stepped on so no risk of organ damage). I'm not surprised the general vet gave no help , and didn't even take xrays.

If the skink is still not behaving normally, this is an sure indication there is something wrong (even if you can't see blood in the poos/ urates , nose or mouth).
I think it will be very wise to have an experienced REPTILE VET (see list below) examine your skink , maybe take ultrasounds and xrays , internal bleeding and injuries to bones (spin, ribs, hips, shoulders) will become obvious if present , and you will know for sure what you are dealing with and maybe work up a healing - recovery plan with the vet if there is organ damage.

Here are some reptile vets based in Sydney :

Balgownie Veterinary Hospital
Sydney Metropolitan
156 Balgownie Road
Balgownie NSW 2519 Australia
02 4285 5210
http://www.balgownievet.com.au

----------------------

Teri Bellamy
Shop 6
Harden Street & Avoca Road
Canley Heights NSW 2166 Australia
02 9604 9792

----------------------

South Penrith Veterinary Clinic
Robert Johnson
126 Stafford Street
Penrith, N.S.W., Australia
(02) 4721-4796
http://www.reptilevet.com.au/
(BTS.net certified)

----------------------

Mobile Vet Sydney
262 North Rocks Road
North Rocks NSW 2151 Australia
02 9873 1660

I'm in Newcastle/Lake Macquarie so have never used any of the above Reptile vets. I hear the vets above are / were recommended and are well versed in reptile health.

You are lucky I saw your post here , as well as the post over at APS , I'm not a member of APS (we parted ways and I'll rejoin that mob of AHs , the response you got is very indicative of the attitude over there ( good luck getting help from anyone there).
kingofnobbys
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Re: Stepped on blue tongue will he he ok

Postby kingofnobbys » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:08 am

So how is the injured skink doing today ?

Did you get it to one of the reptile vets in the list I provided to be checked out ?

Return to “Advanced Discussion”