Found a cool taming video for reptiles and thought I should share

Anything and everything not pertaining to blue-tongued skinks.
Forum rules
This is the place where anything goes! As long as it adheres to our general rules, you may post about it here; for example, tell us or show us: who you are, what you do, what you love/like/dislike, what you have, what you made, what happened, how you feel, what you think, what you heard, what you read, what you wonder, etc. How about showing us something we’ve never seen before?!
rixusaku
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Found a cool taming video for reptiles and thought I should share

Postby rixusaku » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:36 am

Reptile "Taming" - Building a Relationship of Trust With Your Pet by Clint's Reptiles featuring New England Reptile "NERD"

They go over a lot of tips for varying reptiles, mostly snakes in the video, but the tips can be transferred to many different reptiles successfully. I'm not too sure if putting your BTS high above you is a good idea, since heights tend to stress them out enough as it is, but you can probably put them on your shoulders instead so they can't see your eyes. Pretty useful stuff and I'm really glad to see them explaining that you need to read your animal for what it is, not superimpose what you want to see out of them on them. I think that's very important for every animal you encounter whether they're wild or tamed--read them, don't teddy bear them.
| Noodle | Male | 3 years | Northern |
| My Care Experience: Since January 2021 |
Rob
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Found a cool taming video for reptiles and thought I should share

Postby Rob » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:30 pm

I think I saw the same video on utube. He also said that you should place a worn article of your clothing in the enclosure. This was so the Reptile learned your scent and became comfortable with it. I have always wondered if anyone here has tried that. It was a very good video.
rixusaku
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Found a cool taming video for reptiles and thought I should share

Postby rixusaku » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:04 pm

I thought about giving that a try with a sock or something, or yeah, a shirt I've worn. Haven't done that yet but my BTS is pretty used to me by now, probably due to the daily maintenance I do on the enclosure like checking the temps, looking for droppings, and swapping out the water. Not sure if it will do anything for me at this point but I might try it anyway lol. He's still not used to being picked up out of his enclosure, but he's been fine once he's out and in my hands or lap. He'll fall asleep on my shoulders or in the fleece bonding scarf I got for him. I think the glass enclosure has something to do with him not liking being picked up while in there, because he's always staring at the reflections of my hands on the back wall when I pick him up. I'm saving up for a PVC enclosure and I think that will eliminate the issues.
| Noodle | Male | 3 years | Northern |
| My Care Experience: Since January 2021 |

Return to “Everything Off-Topic!”