My New Skink bit me

Anything and everything not pertaining to blue-tongued skinks.
Forum rules
This is the place where anything goes! As long as it adheres to our general rules, you may post about it here; for example, tell us or show us: who you are, what you do, what you love/like/dislike, what you have, what you made, what happened, how you feel, what you think, what you heard, what you read, what you wonder, etc. How about showing us something we’ve never seen before?!
FranktheSkink
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

My New Skink bit me

Postby FranktheSkink » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:39 pm

Hi, I’m new to the site. I recently got a blue tongue skink (Frank). And, he’s really been warming up to me. He’s been sleeping outside, so I think he trusts me. And I started to feed him with chopsticks a few days ago. He seemed comfortable with everything. So, I eventually started to just put my hand in the cage, not doing anything. He came close and licked my hand. Then all the sudden bit me. I’m pretty sure he’s not close to shedding, but I’m not sure exactly. Can anybody help with why this might have happened?
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Re: My New Skink bit me

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:14 am

FranktheSkink wrote:Hi, I’m new to the site. I recently got a blue tongue skink (Frank). And, he’s really been warming up to me. He’s been sleeping outside, so I think he trusts me. And I started to feed him with chopsticks a few days ago. He seemed comfortable with everything. So, I eventually started to just put my hand in the cage, not doing anything. He came close and licked my hand. Then all the sudden bit me. I’m pretty sure he’s not close to shedding, but I’m not sure exactly. Can anybody help with why this might have happened?

He likely smelt or tasted food on your hand …. my experience with (wild and captive bred / tame) skinks (of several species over my life) is they don't bite people who they know unless by accident.

Return to “Everything Off-Topic!”