Alternative to rodents?

Anything and everything not pertaining to blue-tongued skinks.
Forum rules
This is the place where anything goes! As long as it adheres to our general rules, you may post about it here; for example, tell us or show us: who you are, what you do, what you love/like/dislike, what you have, what you made, what happened, how you feel, what you think, what you heard, what you read, what you wonder, etc. How about showing us something we’ve never seen before?!
Hamish
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Alternative to rodents?

Postby Hamish » Fri May 18, 2018 7:01 pm

Hi guys, I was idly looking on the internet for something to do with reptiles when I came across these things called reptilinks. They are sausages of ground up quail/rabbits etc. They claim that they can be used for snakes, is this true?
I was interested in these reptilinks and possibly getting some for my bts when he gets older but also the possibility of having a snake that I don’t have to feed rodents. However, as I live in Australia, the reptilinks are not available to me. I was wondering if any of you knew about an Australian alternative to the reptilinks?

Thanks,

Hamish
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Re: Alternative to rodents?

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon May 21, 2018 12:44 am

very young chicken hatchlings (maybe ?) or maybe dove or pidgeon hatchlings (will be smaller than baby chickens) , euthanized off cause (never feed live animals to your pet lizard !! - too stressful , and well cruel (PETA will have a field day on you in court).

If you know a farmer - or someone who keeps chickens or pidgens as pets in a suburban setting (some still do), you could perhaps ask to buy some fertilized eggs off them on a regular basis and simply incubate them in tub in the house until the hatch - then euthanize them (CO2 chamber is most humane method for doing this yourself).
I think baby birds will be much closer to the kind of prey items wild BTs will come across when foraging in their natural range (esp the Aussie species - rats and mice are not indigenous to Australia and very scarce in the "outback" (too dry and not enough food to support rats and mice , and very little standing or flowing water).
Whnthsungoesdwn
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Whnthsungoesdwn » Tue May 22, 2018 8:28 am

I’m in the US and I use reptilinks. I bought the 50/50 mix of rabbit and veggies for my bluey and the frog microlinks for my western hognose. The hognose won’t touch the reptilinks so I wouldn’t rely on them for alternative snake food. But the bluey does like the rabbit links and his quail eggs that I ordered from them.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:05 am

Blueys can be little garbage cans. They eat just about everything. And the worse it smells the better they like it. Explains their love of roadkill in their native land.

Return to “Everything Off-Topic!”