A skink-like lizard

Anything and everything not pertaining to blue-tongued skinks.
Forum rules
This is the place where anything goes! As long as it adheres to our general rules, you may post about it here; for example, tell us or show us: who you are, what you do, what you love/like/dislike, what you have, what you made, what happened, how you feel, what you think, what you heard, what you read, what you wonder, etc. How about showing us something we’ve never seen before?!
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

A skink-like lizard

Postby splashy07 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:44 pm

This is a yellow throated plated lizard, gherrosaurus flavigularis, an African native frequently imported. Beautiful and quite skink-like in appearance and habits, they make a beautiful addition as a display animal in a terrarium. I've heard that if acquired young they can be tamed, but my two were obtained as adults from a friend who owns a reptile store. He said 'no one will buy these, you never see them, take them home'. Not liking the busy shop and inquisitive eyes of the patrons, they always were hiding. They no longer hide from me, coming out to bask, chase bugs and show their beautiful selves. They co-habitate with an emerald swift and a pair of Cuban anoles in a self-sustaining terrarium. Shy by nature and never showing the least bit of aggression they are a pretty sight to behold. I am assuming I have two females as they have never fought or attempted to breed. I am not an advocate of mixed species cohabitation, but I am an experienced keeper that has been experimenting with community settings for forty years. In other words, 'don't try this at home....' Anyway, sort of like a fish tank, not a take out and hold type of animal, although I have heard of exceptions. Whatever you do, don't let them hit the ground, they are faster than lightning! They literally fly across the ground like Ameivas and race runners. Long lived also, I've had these for quite a while. Would have loved to get some better pictures but this is as close as she lets me get. They do not do her justice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bryson26
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: A skink-like lizard

Postby Bryson26 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:54 pm

Id like to see more pics of the tank honestly :D :lol:
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:52 am

Here is a few I just took. Some of the inhabitants aren't awake yet, it's early!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:26 pm

Lovely critters! It's great they've not shown any aggression to each other :D the spikey scales of the Emerald swift are fascinating.
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:00 am

He's really old too. Outlived his girlfriend and their prodigy. Much prettier, bad lighting in pics. The male Cuban anole is a turquoise color, and the female is green. Unfortunately I haven't had any babies, I'm thinking if she does lay eggs in there the insects would eat them...you name it, its breeding in there! A dermestid bug colony takes care of the waste matter.
TinyBear
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby TinyBear » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:03 pm

Wow they are gorgeous! The Cuban is amazing but they both look so pretty. I love your tank too! I'm in the process of converting my skink's new tank into a vivarium and I hope it looks nearly as pretty as yours.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:26 am

For large burrowing lizards like BT skinks a vivarium would soon be destroyed by him. They dig up everything. Don't waste time and money, better to keep it simple for a bluey. Smaller skink species such as five lined and goldens do well in such a setup. All my plants are fake, otherwise the insects would eat them or their roots. A simple, spacious cage with two or more hides and a water dish is all you need for your BT. The cage that houses my Eastern girls has five hides and they use each and every one.

Return to “Everything Off-Topic!”