Legless Lizard Care - Questions

Anything and everything not pertaining to blue-tongued skinks.
Forum rules
This is the place where anything goes! As long as it adheres to our general rules, you may post about it here; for example, tell us or show us: who you are, what you do, what you love/like/dislike, what you have, what you made, what happened, how you feel, what you think, what you heard, what you read, what you wonder, etc. How about showing us something we’ve never seen before?!
Laceflower
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Your Facebook name: Cameron Briley

Legless Lizard Care - Questions

Postby Laceflower » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:09 pm

I recently obtained a Giant Russian Legless Lizard who I've named Maynard. His age is unknown, but he's extremely intelligent and interactive. I've done a ton of reading, but keepers seem to be pretty individualized in their approach to keeping these guys. He's doing great, but I have a few questions about care. I know they aren't super common, but I was hoping maybe someone here has some experience with them. Here's my setup:
48"x24"x24" enclosure
Substrate: Topsoil/playsand mix. Depth of 6"
Temps: 85-88F hot end w/ 75F cool end
Standard UV bulb setup
Humidity: 60-80%
12hr day/night cycle
Climbing branches, large hide, rocks, cork bark, cork rounds, plants, etc. for enrichment
Feedings: Every other/every two days (whenever he'll accept food). Given as many crickets and/or mealworms as he can consume in 10 minutes.

Any advice would be VERY much appreciated. He's very precocious and seems genuinely happy and secure in his tank, but I can't help feeling that something might could be done better - he's almost too easy! Haha. Thanks in advance for any help you could offer. Have some photos for funsies.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aiming for a Master's in Herpetology.
1.0 Northern BTS - Riff-Raff
3.0 Leopard Geckos - Snowblind, Supernaut, Frankie
1.0 Bearded Dragon - Mushu
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Re: Legless Lizard Care - Questions

Postby kingofnobbys » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:36 pm

Can't help with his care , but I really like legless lizards as a variety ....

.... have ypu tried contacting the local reptile parks / zoo's reptile keepers , they are often only too happy to answer questions regarding care of animals , especially rare and unusual ones (in captivity such as your's probably is).

Have you seen this http://www.wnyherpsociety.org/wp-conten ... -Sheet.pdf .
My Googlefu is strong , is a link to heltopusik Care Sheet. (Common Name: Sheltopusik, European Glass Lizard, Giant Russian Legless Lizard .
Also found http://reptilepark.com.au/animals/repti ... eltopusik/ , apparently Gosford Reptile Park have some .... here is their email address admin@reptilepark.com.au , the keepers there are very approachable - I've had dealings with them in the past and they were happy to help.
Habitat

European mainland to Central Asia. The scheltopusik prefers light woods, scrubby vegetation and rocky outcrops. Although it favours dry areas, it will come out after rain to hunt for snails and slugs.

Diet

Snails, slugs, insects, eggs and occasionally very small mammals and birds.

Maybe if you put up detailed information on how you are caring for him it might help kindle some interest from other legless lizard keepers , though I expect they are few and far between .
Laceflower
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Your Facebook name: Cameron Briley

Re: Legless Lizard Care - Questions

Postby Laceflower » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:03 am

Hiya! Thanks for the reply. Yep, I've done (or attempted to do) everything you've suggested. The Tennessee Aquarium's herpetarium has one, and I've emailed and called in inquiries as to his care with no luck. As for the article, I'll give it a read. I found a few care sheets online that either a) weren't very detailed, b) all said something different, or c) glossed over things like humidity, so a lot of his care has come from researching the climate of his native habitat. He's a very perky animal with a great apetite. His only flaws are a couple of knicks and bumps that he came to me with which I am treating, and which is also why I adopted him more or less, as I didn't trust his previous keepers. I'm trying to do the best I can for him, so thanks for the help! I'll definitely send out some emails to the places you suggested as well!
Aiming for a Master's in Herpetology.
1.0 Northern BTS - Riff-Raff
3.0 Leopard Geckos - Snowblind, Supernaut, Frankie
1.0 Bearded Dragon - Mushu

Return to “Everything Off-Topic!”