Apartments and reptiles

Anything and everything not pertaining to blue-tongued skinks.
Forum rules
This is the place where anything goes! As long as it adheres to our general rules, you may post about it here; for example, tell us or show us: who you are, what you do, what you love/like/dislike, what you have, what you made, what happened, how you feel, what you think, what you heard, what you read, what you wonder, etc. How about showing us something we’ve never seen before?!
jdheff1982
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Your Facebook name: John D. Heffington

Apartments and reptiles

Postby jdheff1982 » Tue May 30, 2017 12:31 am

So, some time ago, I was getting things finalized at an apartment. The gal who gave me the tour knew I was bringing a corn snake and my BTS. She never said anything about it. When the day came to sign the paperwork, after I signed the last page, I was asked by a different gal if I had any pets. I told her what I had and was immediately told I couldn't bring them. Obviously, I ask why. Their response was so retarded, I backed out completely and ran away. They told me they feared the reptiles would escape and BREED with the local wildlife! I could see that with the corn snake, but not with my NBTS! Sure, we have skinks in the States, but none of them get as big as the NBTS. As for the snake, what the managers didn't consider was the snakes' ability to reduce rodent population in the area.

With that said, has anyone here had a bad experience dealing with potential or current landlords about their exotic pets? Has anyone been successful in changing a landlords mind about their reptile? Since I work for a commercial print shop, I have considered getting a brochure printed that would explain what I have and provide key facts about my NBTS. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Northern BTS Rosco born 6/27/2013 acquired 10/1/2013 -> My Gallery:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7iQnlFQvJfMTDFxLVUwaEN5Z0E?usp=sharing
---------------------------------
Care Sheet: http://www.bluetongueskinks.net/
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Re: Apartments and reptiles

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue May 30, 2017 2:37 am

just tell them they wont survive long in the wild and need another BT skink to breed, these are none existent in the wild in the USA.

Tell them if the escape , they'll stay close and likely eat the mice and insects they encounter.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Tue May 30, 2017 6:28 am

I have been discriminated against because of reptiles my entire life. Most rentals I had to sneak them in, but eventually
the collection grew to the point where it was impossible to do that. The ignorance people show regarding reptiles is alarming, to say the least. I can't tell you how many times I was asked if a ball python was poisonous. For the most part, people do not like reptiles. My current landlady and I met at a reptile club meeting, and that is the sole reason I stay there, I certainly could use more space but I'm not even considering looking again until I retire and buy my own house. And if your landlord finds out you're breeding roaches.....OH HORRORS!!!!! I could go on for days about this topic.
alichamp

Postby alichamp » Tue May 30, 2017 9:29 pm

Ironically, reptiles can be the best pets for an apartment. They are contained within the apartment, don't smell or make noise, they don't shed or leave hair anywhere and are very low maintenance and don't cause wear in the apartment.

If landlords have a blanket no pets policy then fine, that's their choice, but if they do allow pets but not reptiles then that is a pretty ignorant and poor decision against their own interests.

I agree their reasoning against yours was just dumb... For so many reasons!
NickBrahz
The Undecider
The Undecider

Postby NickBrahz » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:24 pm

We have 3 turtles and 3 blue tongues in the house i live in that is rented, we never bothered to tell the people we rent from because we didn't see the point as we had a rabbit so a reptile takes up no room, makes no noise and is clean.
They have inspected the house a half dozen times since we got the reptiles and they are in plain view as soon as you enter the house and they have never said anything or cared so i guess we got lucky, maybe being in Australia has something to do with it, the people that inspect the house usually take a gander at the reptiles in interest.

Has to do with fear of animals that is ingrained in people when they are growing up they are told they are dangerous monsters that lurk in dark corners ready to bite them if you ask me.

Return to “Everything Off-Topic!”