Has anyone noticed...

Anything and everything not pertaining to blue-tongued skinks.
Forum rules
This is the place where anything goes! As long as it adheres to our general rules, you may post about it here; for example, tell us or show us: who you are, what you do, what you love/like/dislike, what you have, what you made, what happened, how you feel, what you think, what you heard, what you read, what you wonder, etc. How about showing us something we’ve never seen before?!
jdheff1982
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Your Facebook name: John D. Heffington

Has anyone noticed...

Postby jdheff1982 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:25 am

If the price of skinks has gone up in the States or elsewhere? I checked out the breeder (http://www.captivebred.com/) I bought my Northern from back in 2013 and they are now charging $350+ for their babies. When I bought my guy, they were asking $200 then. So, what could a price hike signify? Economic hardship? Rising demand? Inflation? :noknow:

I find it bizarre that generally fun and easy to raise reptiles like our skinks and bearded dragons command such a higher price than something like a common green iguana which has much more specialized care. :noknow:
Northern BTS Rosco born 6/27/2013 acquired 10/1/2013 -> My Gallery:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7iQnlFQvJfMTDFxLVUwaEN5Z0E?usp=sharing
---------------------------------
Care Sheet: http://www.bluetongueskinks.net/
Dwarfbeardeddragon
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Has anyone noticed...

Postby Dwarfbeardeddragon » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:54 am

The snake bytes guy brian reckons that bts's will be the next best thing and i agree, think we are on the brink of the boom! :D :mrgreen:
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Has anyone noticed...

Postby splashy07 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:36 am

With the influx of imports and lack of knowledge out there, the purity of the species is always in question. Reputable breeders will have pure bloodlines that they should be able to document and price accordingly. I know I would gladly pay more for one hundred percent. Their popularity is definitely increasing as more reptile fanciers realize what awesome pets they are, and you can buy their food at the supermarket. Pure cbb blueys will never be as common as our bearded dragon, which can yeild one hundred babies in a season from one pair. (I used to breed them, and my female had 8 clutches of 15+eggs in a season). But, with all the imports arriving by the boatload there will be a lot of confusion out there over what's what and unscrupulous/ignorant people will be breeding blue tongues to blue tongues of unknown origin. Pay the higher price and make sure you get what you pay for. You would for your dog, and your bluey may be around 20+years!

Return to “Everything Off-Topic!”