Self Sustaining Vivarium

Anything and everything not pertaining to blue-tongued skinks.
Forum rules
This is the place where anything goes! As long as it adheres to our general rules, you may post about it here; for example, tell us or show us: who you are, what you do, what you love/like/dislike, what you have, what you made, what happened, how you feel, what you think, what you heard, what you read, what you wonder, etc. How about showing us something we’ve never seen before?!
TinyBear
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Self Sustaining Vivarium

Postby TinyBear » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:39 pm

Has anyone made one for their BTS? I'm thinking of making one as I have troubles maintaining humidity currently. I've done small vivariums for dart frogs and insects before but my BTS is about to be moved to a 60 gal and I've never done something on that large of a scale. In fact, I've not seen many non-aquatic vivariums above 20 or 40 gals.
alichamp

Re: Self Sustaining Vivarium

Postby alichamp » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:04 pm

I'm sorry, I don't really know what you are referring to here or what you are asking... :oops:
TinyBear
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby TinyBear » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:40 pm

A vivarium is a like a terrarium or aquarium in that it is an enclosed environment. In this case I would be using all natural materials to stimulate their environment. Real dirt/leaves for substrate, live plants, fresh running water. To make it self sustaining I would also add isopods or springtails (bugs) to eat waste and dead plant matter. Generally (or at least the ones I've built previously) they have very high humidity 80% or more. Check out these videos if you're interested in knowing more about them.

https://youtu.be/50MJWyhTkpU
https://youtu.be/JBiqCYbpkVQ
Edward
Carpe diem
Carpe diem

Postby Edward » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:16 am

Just curious if you ever did set up a vivarium for your BTS.
Many, many years ago I set one up for an IJ and it worked rather well. I used a huge (approximately 75 gallon glass aquarium) tank and had lots of moss, a few plants, soil, bark, an underground hide, large water dish, and lights. I never had to clean it as all the waste matter decomposed naturally. And the humidity was ideal for my BTS.
If you don't mind, perhaps you can post a picture or two of yours.
Nemo me impune lacessit.

Return to “Everything Off-Topic!”