Insect pets

Anything and everything not pertaining to blue-tongued skinks.
Forum rules
This is the place where anything goes! As long as it adheres to our general rules, you may post about it here; for example, tell us or show us: who you are, what you do, what you love/like/dislike, what you have, what you made, what happened, how you feel, what you think, what you heard, what you read, what you wonder, etc. How about showing us something we’ve never seen before?!
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Insect pets

Postby splashy07 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:37 pm

I've always loved bugs, they were my first love before discovering reptiles as a child. Here are my latest acquisitions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alichamp

Re: Insect pets

Postby alichamp » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:25 pm

They are very cool! I've been thinking for a while this year about keeping some stick insects to keep. I'm still mulling, but yours are very cool....

What do you feed them?
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:16 pm

They eat other bugs, which I always have plenty of! Stick bugs? I've got them too! I feed the sticks collards and kale greens, but they will eat any household greens, that's just what I always have around.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Slick
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Slick » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:53 pm

I caught this guy on our patio last year . Kept him in a 10 gallon tank for a while and fed him crickets ! Finally got sick of arguing with my wife and let him go ! She isn't much for insects
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:42 pm

Oh he's so cool! Next time you find one just tell her he's not an insect. He's a n arachnid! LOL
I'm afraid to keep spiders because I am allergic to just about everything and don't want to chance anything even remotely venomous. So I stay with my childhood favorites, mantises, katydids and stick insects. In late spring here I raise cecropia silkmoths. The most awesome caterpillars in the world.
Chico da Herper
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Chico da Herper » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:01 pm

Beautiful insects! The only bugs I've ever owned are injured ones I found, however, I'm thinking of getting back into the hobby. I am a big fan of praying mantises, the 1 I had was simply amazing. He would eat worms and Beatles out of my hand. Eventually he got large enough to eat pinkies lol. I've also kept some really large and cool millepede species which I forget are called. Know any really pretty mantis types?
Versiris
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Versiris » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:43 pm

So cool! I wish the majority of herbivores weren't illegal to keep as pets... I want a pill millipede real bad. I have a small dubia colony that I was going to feed to my BTS but I like them so much I haven't had the guts to do it yet haha.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:41 am

I currently keep Asian and Australian mantises, they are great pets and are beautiful and long lived. I've kept European, Chinese, ghost and Africans also. Our locals here are Chinese mantids, large beautiful species.
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott

Postby Scotts1au » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:06 am

Need photos :thumbs: :hehe:
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:59 am

Currently only one Asian mantis still hanging in there, let's see what I can find at next weekend's LI Reptile expo...
Here are a few pictures from this past season. In order, lubber grasshopper, cecropia caterpillar babies, Promethea babies, note the smiley face on their butt in next pic, voracious little euro mantis baby, Asian mantis, Vietnamese stick insect, Asian to adult.

Return to “Everything Off-Topic!”