Ball python feeding

Anything and everything not pertaining to blue-tongued skinks.
Forum rules
This is the place where anything goes! As long as it adheres to our general rules, you may post about it here; for example, tell us or show us: who you are, what you do, what you love/like/dislike, what you have, what you made, what happened, how you feel, what you think, what you heard, what you read, what you wonder, etc. How about showing us something we’ve never seen before?!
UroFreak13
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Ball python feeding

Postby UroFreak13 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:07 pm

Hello, I have a 3 year old male ball python who has refused to eat for a few months. At first the temperature was off but it has since been adjusted with a new ceramic heat emitter. He has done this before for 9 months then eventually accepted food. Before this he was a very good eater, always on frozen thaw rats.
She shows an interest at first then goes nose to nose and shakes back and forth, then he will just stay like that it or turn away. Ironically enough last time he ate he only struck when I picked him back up to put him back in his enclosure.
Any ideas?
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Ball python feeding

Postby splashy07 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:17 pm

Sounds to me like he's just being a male ball python. All of mine were voracious eaters their first year but when they reached adulthood some would go off feed for the entire winter. Some of my adult females now go off now and them also for a few months. I've been keeping ball pythons for decades and still can't figure them out. Good thing I keep boas, too, or I'd be tossing a lot of wasted thawed rats!
UroFreak13
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby UroFreak13 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:33 pm

Thanks for the reply! No boas sadly haha.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:51 pm

Before I had boas I used to keep a large king snake as a disposal unit for uneaten rodents. Just hate to throw em out!
Ball pythons can be a pain, but I'll always have a few of them. Just like them, they're so sweet. What types do you have, any interesting color morphs?

Return to “Everything Off-Topic!”