The planets cutest cactus

Anything and everything not pertaining to blue-tongued skinks.
Forum rules
This is the place where anything goes! As long as it adheres to our general rules, you may post about it here; for example, tell us or show us: who you are, what you do, what you love/like/dislike, what you have, what you made, what happened, how you feel, what you think, what you heard, what you read, what you wonder, etc. How about showing us something we’ve never seen before?!
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

The planets cutest cactus

Postby splashy07 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:42 pm

I just love cactus plants. A friend bought me this. Does it get any cuter? Any other cactus lovers out there?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alichamp

Re: The planets cutest cactus

Postby alichamp » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:05 am

This cactus lives in our front yard. It would be AT LEAST 15-20 years old. Every summer is comes out in HUGE flowers and we see many many people stopping as they walk past to have a closer look. Our summers are typically very hot and dry (typically it would frequently reach 32-38 degrees) so the flowers tend to come out overnight only. We can usually catch the flowers open in the mornings and they close up before the hottest part of the day - you can see some closed ones in the picture; they just look like shrivelled black long bits. I'm afraid the ones in the pic are still partly closed - they get very large when completely open - probably almost as big as my head!! They have a strong pleasant smell. The spikes are horrendous though ;) My aunty and uncle took a newer growth piece and keep it in a pot at their place (in Sydney) - they have had it for several years now but it has not flowered for them yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Susann » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:24 am

I am not a cactus fan; NOT because I don't like the way they look, because I very much do, but because I can not stand seeing the dirt in the pot being dry ...it literally hurts me to not water it and makes me feel like a plant-torturer! I've watered every cactus to death...

Splashy, that is a cute little thing!

And ali, O. M. G!!!! :shock: I believe that may be the most beautiful cactus I've ever seen! ...I might even learn to suffer the dry dirt if I could get one of those to bloom in my house... Alas, I hate heat and highly doubt my home is anywhere near warm enough for one of those. In my yard though... if they could only stand the cold winters, our summers are plenty warm enough for it.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:27 pm

You Aussies just have it all, don't ya??? Bet you have blueys walking around smelling those flowers...
Sooooooooo jealous
They are truly awesome. We don't have much wild cacti around here but there is some on the trails where I go biking, but certainly nothing like that!! I've seen some cool stuff in Florida though.
And Susann, the dry pot thing really gets to me too, and it took me years to stop drowning them! It's hot as the Devils residence in my apartment in summer, I love the heat and do not use ac because of my reptiles, and I just don't like the windows closed. Therefore, the heat loving plants are happy. You could keep some, my friends mom does and it does fine in the room with ac. She used to drown them too! Cactus plants are almost as addicting as BTs.
NickBrahz
The Undecider
The Undecider

Postby NickBrahz » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:53 am

Cacti sure can look great, used to live in an area surrounded by paddocks and bushland so would see a fair few cacti along the way.
Last edited by NickBrahz on Sun May 29, 2016 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
alichamp

Postby alichamp » Thu May 05, 2016 1:27 am

That one at our place wouldn't be a wild cactus. It was probably planted by the previous occupants of our house. Must have been there some time too because it flowered our first summer in the house and the neighbours across the road said it only flowers every 10 years! Clearly we now know they were wrong about that (it flowers every year) but it does mean they hadn't seen it flower and it must have been many years old before they begin to flower.

Either that or it was inspired by our arrival to flower!

We frequently get overnight lows of -6 Celsius over winter so this cactus is very hardy.

This little guy keeps me company on my desk at work. Cacti must be my thing because it's the only one of my 3 plants there that I've managed to keep alive.
Nae
Forum Graphic Designer
Forum Graphic Designer

Postby Nae » Mon May 23, 2016 5:21 am

Aaahhh I love Cacti <3 and succulents.
Im currently living between two places and they are great cause I can have them in my apartment unsupervised without having to worry.
Much to the amusement of my new neighbours - young chic turns up by herself with nothing but a sedan, a heap of boxes and suitcase, and a tiny little cactus call Fluffy :lol:

Susann wrote:I am not a cactus fan; NOT because I don't like the way they look, because I very much do, but because I can not stand seeing the dirt in the pot being dry ...it literally hurts me to not water it and makes me feel like a plant-torturer! I've watered every cactus to death...

Just a thought, would perhaps covering the dirt with ornamental pebbles or something help? That way the dry dirt is out of sight and out of mind :wink:
Dutch Skinks
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Dutch Skinks » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:56 am

Cacti and succulents are amazing, another favorite of mine is the Genus Euphorbia. Very interesting plants.

Euphorbia neohumbertii
0.0.1 Merauke, Tiliqua gigas evanescens.
0.0.2 Irian Jaya, Tiliqua sp.
1.0 Tanimbar, Tiliqua scincoides chimaerea.

Return to “Everything Off-Topic!”