Beardie lovers

Anything and everything not pertaining to blue-tongued skinks.
Forum rules
This is the place where anything goes! As long as it adheres to our general rules, you may post about it here; for example, tell us or show us: who you are, what you do, what you love/like/dislike, what you have, what you made, what happened, how you feel, what you think, what you heard, what you read, what you wonder, etc. How about showing us something we’ve never seen before?!
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Beardie lovers

Postby splashy07 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:59 pm

I've noticed there are some beardie lovers on here, so I figured I'd share this. Two summers ago when I was still breeding them I produced this orange beauty that now resides with a friend. Her name is Clementine, which is all I could think of at first sight of her, a cute little orange. Her parents, tiger citrus leather translucent x tiger citrus hypo trans (normal scale) gave me over one hundred eggs in one season. They are now four years old and also reside with a friend. Many debates out there about beardies/blueys as pets, I must say they are equally rewarding. It's all about what you want, for example, your beardie may sit on a log on your desk for hours while you work. Don't expect that from a BT. He will be all over the place exploring, and possibly getting lost in something soft he finds in your closet. When it comes to maintenance, beardies command a bit more time, and a lot of time and effort if you wish to breed. As far as pet quality I say they are equal. Friendly, cute curious animals that are safe for even the youngest reptile enthusiast.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jesswebb93
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Beardie lovers

Postby jesswebb93 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:51 pm

I definitely agree with you. I have a beardie in addition to my two blue tongues, and my beardie has a great temperament as well. I'd have to say that I like them equally. My beardie is so well behaved, that he sleeps in my bed with me every night and will wait for me to wake up in the morning. He doesn't move or anything, just waits until I put him back in his tank. I can't see my blue tongues doing that, to be honest.
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Susann » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:45 pm

jesswebb93 wrote:My beardie is so well behaved, that he sleeps in my bed with me every night and will wait for me to wake up in the morning. He doesn't move or anything, just waits until I put him back in his tank. I can't see my blue tongues doing that, to be honest.

At the risk of sounding negative ...I just don't see the point. Why risk the well-being of your animal just so you can have some company in bed at night? I don't see any benefit to your Beardie at all from this. Zero. Just risks and danger. For what?
To be honest, for their sake, I hope your blue tongues never make you think they would be this "well behaved".
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
jesswebb93
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby jesswebb93 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:50 am

Susann wrote:At the risk of sounding negative ...I just don't see the point. Why risk the well-being of your animal just so you can have some company in bed at night? I don't see any benefit to your Beardie at all from this. Zero. Just risks and danger. For what?
To be honest, for their sake, I hope your blue tongues never make you think they would be this "well behaved".

My beardie was a rescue and the only reason I started letting him sleep in my bed at night was because he was constantly scratching at the glass during the night. I don't know what his previous owners did with him, but letting him sleep on a pillow behind my head (where he can't get squashed or hurt during the night) seemed to calm him down. He has never been in danger from it because I've made sure he sleeps in a safe spot in a small blanket. I don't intend on letting any of my blue tongues do the same, just to clarify. My beardie was an exception, I'd rather not have him stressed out every night.
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens

Postby Dakota » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:32 am

That's a gorgeous beardie! I had a bearded when I was around 6 (well, family pet, but I held him the most) named Dezzy. It was given to us by my aunt who had him for a few good years. I remember when I held him, I would hold him over the toilet when he started to defecate. I thought I was potty-training him. :lol:

They really are quite awesome creatures, and it is a shame most are treated so poorly in the pet trade. One of the few reptiles that saddens me to be bred so often.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Susann » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:24 pm

I appreciate your reply jesswebb93. As long as you feel comfortable that he's safe, healthy, and happy, that's really all that matters --not my, or anyone else's, opinion.
I just don't want any new keeper to read your account and think it's safe or common for Beardies to be able to sleep in their bed with them, because I'm sure many would think that that sounds really neat.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
jesswebb93
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby jesswebb93 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:43 am

Susann wrote:I just don't want any new keeper to read your account and think it's safe or common for Beardies to be able to sleep in their bed with them, because I'm sure many would think that that sounds really neat.

I completely understand where you are coming from. I don't want new keepers to think that either, I just used that as an example of how calm and mellow beardies can be, especially as adults. I would never allow him to sleep in my bed if it put him in any danger. I love all my babies :)

Return to “Everything Off-Topic!”