ARCHER

Anything and everything not pertaining to blue-tongued skinks.
Forum rules
This is the place where anything goes! As long as it adheres to our general rules, you may post about it here; for example, tell us or show us: who you are, what you do, what you love/like/dislike, what you have, what you made, what happened, how you feel, what you think, what you heard, what you read, what you wonder, etc. How about showing us something we’ve never seen before?!
mitchell.a.88
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

ARCHER

Postby mitchell.a.88 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:35 pm

Hey everyone! So over on the Skink side of things I posted about Nubbs formerly known as Cinnamon. Well he actually came over to me with a friend, a Chinese Water Dragon that I have named Archer (after the world's deadliest spy, Sterling Archer). I have no prior experience with water dragons but so far he's been entertaining.

One of the first things I did was got him into a larger enclosure. Now it's not as large as I would like but it's a start. It's the Zoo Med Iguanarium. Due to their humidity needs and the fact that it's an open air cage I attached a shower curtain around three of the sides to hopefully keep the humidity up.

IMG_4296.jpg

Here is a closeup of the shower curtain, I didn't want it to look too tacky...

IMG_4297.jpg

Basically it's held on with a lot of zip ties. I think it turned out nice looking though.

After the curtain attachment I added some plants and branches

IMG_4298.jpg

I would like to get a lot more in there and provide some good climbing space and cover though. But that will be after next payday.

Finally I added the Dragon

IMG_4299.jpg

He's a very handsome fella and I'm excited to have him with me!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: ARCHER

Postby Susann » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:47 pm

That dude is SO cool! Man, if they ate dog food once a week I would've kept him for myself! :wink:
He's a chill man, and super handsome too. I hope he's happy in his new cage. He'd better be, it's looking amazing already!
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
alichamp

Postby alichamp » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:38 pm

Wow, clever! What the story with Chinese Water Dragons? Beautiful!
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:01 am

Absolutely awesome! I kept these years ago and loved them! Like having something that looks sort of iguana-ish but without the unmanageable size. Never met a nasty one either, even though most are imported. Only downfall is that they frequently defecate in their water, and need a large tub of it so this becomes a worry if not home all day. Same with the sailfins I used to keep with them. Awesome lizards and great pets, you are bringing back nice memories for me.
Absolutely love the cage! Best of luck with that handsome guy!
mitchell.a.88
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby mitchell.a.88 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:42 pm

I have a huge kitty litter pan for him for his water and fill it with at least 3 gallons of water that I change daily! It gets so nasty so fast >_<
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:33 am

Yes, I had same. There was more than one in there, so always sitting in a you-know-what pool when I got home. That and the fact that they will only eat live were their only two flaws. Gorgeous impressive lizards. Had the Australian WDs for a while too. They eat almost anything but the same water pan issue. Great pets regardless, and I really love your guy, not often do you see them in such perfect shape! Oh, how it makes me want another....and not hard to come by around here either. Uh-oh......I better stop now.
mitchell.a.88
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby mitchell.a.88 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:43 am

He's nearly perfect. He was kept in a small glass tank before and would rub his snout so his upper lip is injured. He's done perfectly well taking F/T pinkies from me but I've been moving him to dubias more, which he is loving! The crunching sound is only a little creepy ;)

I'm very curious about co-habbing them. I've read some stuff online that they can be social reptiles. However with my BTS and my geckos I am hesitant to put any reptile with any other animals. If I had a larger cage I might think about getting another, but I'm mostly just curious.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:12 am

Nose rubs are common with these. Believe it or not, I cured mine with peroxide. Back in those days there wasn't a market for reptile remedies of any sort. Rescued one the size of yours with that issue. Wish they had dubias back then, it was even hard to find superworms so I spent a fortune on crickets and pinkies, and collected nightcrawlers which he loved. Looked awful silly with a big ol' worm hanging out of his mouth! Wish I could find those old 35mm pictures!!
Crunching on those dubias isn't bad, used to it from keeping beardies, and my BTs crunch them up pretty good too!
I kept a male and two females and a sailfin lizard together with no issues. The tank size was a 125g. Lots of good size branches for them and they were fine. They barely even noticed eachother. At the shop I dealt with at the time, my friend kept two males together!

Return to “Everything Off-Topic!”