My Snail Adventures

Anything and everything not pertaining to blue-tongued skinks.
Forum rules
This is the place where anything goes! As long as it adheres to our general rules, you may post about it here; for example, tell us or show us: who you are, what you do, what you love/like/dislike, what you have, what you made, what happened, how you feel, what you think, what you heard, what you read, what you wonder, etc. How about showing us something we’ve never seen before?!
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens

Re: My Snail Adventures

Postby Dakota » Sat May 07, 2016 11:53 am

Knock, knock. Who's there? Anyone .. ?? :thumbs:

Anyways, I recently acquired some rather large Florida Leatherleaf slugs. So stocked! I've had one for a while, but recently he passed away of unknown causes. These are a lot bigger and lighter than he is. One seems to be very fat, so hopefully it is gravid. :ohyes:

Here are pictures of the little hermaphrodites.

I've been asked how they feel by a few people. :edward: Overall, they feel kinda dry. They are not as squishy or slimy as other slugs found in Europe or America, such as the Leopard slug or Banana slug. They do have some slime to them, but it is not as much as the aforementioned species.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
NickBrahz
The Undecider
The Undecider

Postby NickBrahz » Sat May 07, 2016 2:43 pm

They look like a leaf to me, just a fat leaf with little eyes poking out.
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter

Postby Dakota » Sat May 07, 2016 5:51 pm

Yeah, I'm really digging them. I did not know they got this big!

These are the main intermediary host for the rat lungworm (well, can be). Thankfully the immature lungworm dies off if the life cycle is not complete, but it can give meningitis to humans. I actually did a research paper over the lungworm this last semester. Funny how things work out. :wink:
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
theQ
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby theQ » Sun May 08, 2016 7:41 pm

I was recently considering trying to raise some escargot for my own uses, just not sure where to get some to start with. I haven't studied snails enough to be good at identifying them yet, though I have noticed my friend's yard is full of various snails so I will probably be going to catch a few later on when I've got the time (or at the very least try to get some pictures of them).
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter

Postby Dakota » Mon May 09, 2016 1:48 am

Texas has some pretty awesome snails, both native and invasive. Curious to see what you find. :)
AvaRose
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby AvaRose » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:29 am

This is so cool! I actually chose to get a BTS rather than a beardie or any other lizard because I really didn't want to deal with crickets. I don't mind bugs but the risk of them getting loose just seemed too great (especially since I am an apartment dweller and wouldn't want to cause my neighbors cricket-related grief). Snails seem like a lot of fun to keep because you don't have to worry about them jumping or getting loose, plus they are kind of adorable.

A few questions:
1) Which kinds of snails are the best feeders for BTS?
2) Where do you get them from? I have yet to see any snails available as feeders, and I imagine it isn't good to get them from the wild because of pesticides and/or parasites.
3) What other reptiles besides skinks like to eat snails? Curious if you are mostly selling the feeders to BTS owners or if there are other lizards that like them as much.

This looks like the sort of thing I could get into, although I am holding off on getting any more critters until after I move in the fall (hopefully to a larger apartment), it is good to get some ideas now. :-)
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter

Postby Dakota » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:27 am

AvaRose wrote:A few questions:
1) Which kinds of snails are the best feeders for BTS?
2) Where do you get them from? I have yet to see any snails available as feeders, and I imagine it isn't good to get them from the wild because of pesticides and/or parasites.
3) What other reptiles besides skinks like to eat snails? Curious if you are mostly selling the feeders to BTS owners or if there are other lizards that like them as much.

1. I would say anything in the Helix species complex. Helix pomatia and Helix aspersa (Cornu aspersum) are the usual species of snails they eat in the wild. Especially in Australia since both of these species are found there. They are large and their shells aren't too hard. Zachrysia are also good sized, but their shells are extremely hard. If you drop them, they sound like marbles. My skinks have a hard time breaking apart Zachrysia, so I've stopped feeding them. You can also do freshwater snails, such as the various species of Apple snails. Their shells can be a little hard, but my skinks have not had much trouble cracking them open. I can't really give much advice on Apple snails, as my specialty are their terrestrial and arboreal cousins.

2. You can get pre-cooked, food-grade Apple snails at your local Asian market. But as far as the live, terrestrial snails go -- it is a bit of a complicated situation. It is illegal to ship snails that are agricultural pests across state lines. And APHIS-USDA usually assumes all species of snails are pest, unless there is scientific literature stating otherwise (such as lichen-eating snails, etc.) You best bet is to find another snail enthusiast in your state or go look for them. Helix sp. can be found in various states such as Oregon, Washington, Wisconsin, etc.

3. I think the quesiton is more: what reptiles DON'T like snails. LOL. Teiidae, Hemisphaeriodon, Cyclodomorphus, Tiliqua, various large species of Gekkota. etc. The list can go on and on. Even turtles like them. I haven't been selling much of them, but when I do, I usually wholesale to reptile dealers. When I get large enough, I plan to sell to French restaurants.
NickBrahz
The Undecider
The Undecider

Postby NickBrahz » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:45 am

As Dokota said Helix Pomatia/Aspersa are the most common feeder snails down here because they are your common garden snail the skinks just crack right through the shells no problem., reptiles go bananas for snails, if you don't like live feeding you can also find canned snails around online to sell, your Ebay/amazon or feeder sites.
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter

Postby Dakota » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:10 pm

Some new additions.

Limax maximus, Leopard slug. Invasive to the US.
slug6.jpg

slug66.jpg

Helix pomatia, Roman snail. Also invasive, but thankfully I am allowed to keep them in my state unlike Cornu aspersum.
slug666.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter

Postby Dakota » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:41 pm

OK, I'm not really sure too many care, but I'll post anyways. I had a VERY exciting weekend! One of my "snail buddies" came down, and we went snail hunting. Found Caracolus marginella, Caracolus sagemon, Drymaeus multilineatus, Liguus fasciatus, and ORTHALICUS -FREAKING- FLORIDENSIS!! Here are some photos.

Liguus

Orthalicus
tcopitho
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby tcopitho » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:10 pm

Beautiful photos, and gorgeous snails. I do enjoy seeing your updates to this thread.

Return to “Everything Off-Topic!”