Cameras?

Anything and everything not pertaining to blue-tongued skinks.
Forum rules
This is the place where anything goes! As long as it adheres to our general rules, you may post about it here; for example, tell us or show us: who you are, what you do, what you love/like/dislike, what you have, what you made, what happened, how you feel, what you think, what you heard, what you read, what you wonder, etc. How about showing us something we’ve never seen before?!
SmaugTheBluey
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Cameras?

Postby SmaugTheBluey » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:52 am

my brother and I have always been in to photography and filming videos and we've decided to split 50/50 on a camera that's under 400 USD so he's doing he's research and I'm doing mine so we can contemplate different cameras to finally choose one, I'm came here because I know a lot of you know more about cameras than me so I have three questions I need assistance with. What should I look for in a camera that makes it good? How to take a good photo? And what camera do you use and how well it works? Thanks for your time!
Nae
Forum Graphic Designer
Forum Graphic Designer

Re: Cameras?

Postby Nae » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:40 am

Pretty much any Canon EOS or Nikkon DSLR camera will do you just fine~ (Or really any DSLR, they are just my faves due to their compatibility with most other lenses and other bits and bobs like flash triggers.)

They can be fairly easily/cheaply brought second hand as a lot of people buy them only to find them too big and complicated for happy snaps.

I have a canon eos 650d which i personally think is rather rad. The great thing about DSLRs is that you can always later on buy more lenses once you have some extra cash to spend to suit your needs. I personally have a step motor lense which is awesome for taking videos, but thats about all Ive gotten around to getting aha.

The segment of video starting around 2:30 was done with my canon with one of the basic lenses it came with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fpTZvWIXiw

What makes a camera good? If youre serious about photography and videos, go straight to a DSLR imo. Not a singe normal camera I own matches up to my DSLRs, ESPECIALLY when it comes to videos. Shop around online, see what comes into your price ranges, then google them. There are entire blogs dedicated to testing cameras and posting photos taken with them. Have a look at the test photos and see what you like. You can also put it into Youtube for videos recorded with the camera.

How to take a good photo is a bit of a tricky question. Ultimately DSLRS ran on auto normally turn out just fine. But obviously if you want to get right into it theres lighting, exposure, composition, DOF, yadda yadda that all come into play. Googling would probably be your best bet - And just fiddling around once you have your camera.

(and also should you ever decide to upgrade the body of the camera, you can reuse the lenses saving you oooodles of money. Plus if you and your bro decide to get a second camera, you can share lenses. Speaking of lenses, make sure the dslr actually comes with lenses - As you can buy just the camera body, which you may accidentally get since they tend to be at least $300 cheaper than sets with lenses, if you decide to go brand new)

Nae~ =D
1 Centralian - Zeke, The Pudge Meister >D
1 Shingleback - Mazi (RIP)
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:52 pm

$400 is not a lot of money to work with I would recommend at least $600 for up to date equipment.

I use an out-dated(but still good) Nikon D3100 which for an entire kit would cost around $300 now.
You can see some of my pictures here:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Johnson- ... 2081208834

Although the user's skill is more important than the camera. A $400 camera can take pictures that are of the same quality of those taken by a 2000$ camera, as long as you know what you are doing.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott

Postby Scotts1au » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:40 pm

A D3100 even second hand with a kit 18-55 mm plastic lense and a cheap 35mm f1.8G prime lens will get you a long way although a 5300 would be marginally better.

You can even score an old D70, 80, or 200 on ebay for virtually nothing complete with a 18-70 mm f3.5-4.5 lens that came with it as a kit lense that you can pull off and use on the D3100 and you have a good setup to get started. Of course if you just wanted to try SLR photography you could just use an older cheaper camera like a D70 and make the jump at a later date, once you've done some research.

I currently have a Nikon 7100 - loving it, but lusting after expensive lenses murhaha like 200mm f4 macro it's becoming a bit of a problem for the bank account hehe.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
SmaugTheBluey
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby SmaugTheBluey » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:36 pm

@nae I didn't know that they didn't come without lenses, lol I probably would've bought one without one too... I do really like the camera and the lenses that you used in the video I'll do some research it and talk to my bro about it, btw awesome skinks!!!

@xxmoniterlizardxx yeah after looking for a while our did see our set price was a little low for a new camera so I might try to find a local store that sells used cameras... I have been working with stabilization ,angles ,saturation and, stuff like that with our old camera I found in our cellar to raise my skill since I'm pretty amateur

@scotts1au lol, yeah I think a second hand camera will be my best bet and with the extra ill buy a nice lense

Thanks guys
DianaBlueTongue
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby DianaBlueTongue » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:39 am

I have a Canon EOS T3 and payed $350 for it so $400 is a great starting point to work with. I highly recommend the Canon EOS series, super user friendly, great starter DSLR and great for experienced photographers. Image quality is awesome.

Caonon EOS models come with a lens too.

My husband recently picked up a Canon T5i and I'm in absolute love with it but I honeslty didn't even ask what he spent cuz I know it probably put a pretty big dent in our account.
Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.

Buddha
Nae
Forum Graphic Designer
Forum Graphic Designer

Postby Nae » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:17 am

Yeah, most, if not all, DSLR cameras come with the option of just buying the body - It helps to keep costs down as you dont have to pay extra for basic lenses you dont want/ already have, plus you can use the same set of lenses but upgrade the body. Break the body, buy a new one, dont get a lense you dont need = money saved yay. So yeah keep an eye out for that aha

Body only - $500
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/cameras/dslr/ ... nly/66933/

With lense - $715

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/cameras/dslr/ ... kit/67048/

= $215 difference.

Lenses are quite expensive (Some I have my eye on are more than my camera itself eeek), so you will most likely be better off just sticking with the generic lenses for now. maybe even look at a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens which for around $135 is a VERY cheap lense and one Ive been meaning to get for happy snaps aha.

I personally have never used any other DSLR then a canon eos (except for my really old film DSLR but thats another story) so they are the only ones I can vouch for, but definitely uber easy to use - And so much accessories :shock:

Also if you do go for the EOS series, I dont remember if there is a proper name for it, but look for models that take both kinds of lenses - these are evident by have both a red dot and a white square on the lense screwy bit. Thats pretty self explanatory - more lenses, more future proofed, more versatility!

(you can see them here on the silver metal)

http://www.lmscope.com/produkt22/microb ... gemein.jpg

Perhaps you and your brother could start up like a savings jar or something - Im not sure how old you are, but perhaps you could do some odd jobs here and there or something and save up a bit more?

Nae~ =D
1 Centralian - Zeke, The Pudge Meister >D
1 Shingleback - Mazi (RIP)
acanthurus
Rugosa Envy
Rugosa Envy

Postby acanthurus » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:30 pm

If you want the best of both worlds try looking at a mirrorless option. The sony A5000 has many of the features of a much larger camera and very good image quality and interchangeable lenses, all in a comparatively small and cheap package (under $500 with basic lens). The sony lens range is still relatively limited but they are adding new lenses regularly.
SmaugTheBluey
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby SmaugTheBluey » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:06 pm

@DianaBlueTongue I've decided to get a camera within the EOS DSLR series just not sure which model yet, the T3 looks pretty nice and that price is unbeatable currently that one is probably at the top of my list.

@nae ill probably end up spending more on lenses than the camera itself lol, DSLR EOS is the way to go I'm taking it from you guys so I'm pretty dead set on getting one of those. And for funding my gramps was telling me about a site called gofundme.com so he told me to do one of those, the link is http://www.gofundme.com/cxwezo if your interested

@acanthurus I haven't had very good luck with Sony in the past but thanks anyways!!!

Thanks guys I really appreciate it the link for my go fund me is http://www.gofundme.com/cxwezo THANKS!!!!! :D
Romeyrider
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Romeyrider » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:11 pm

I use a Cannon.
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott

Postby Scotts1au » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:41 am

Here is a photos using some of Nikon's cheap lense 35mm f1.8D referred to above. Of course these are shrunk down images so loose some quality but you get the idea. The 5300 would be virtually indestinguishable.

blueyface.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SmaugTheBluey
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby SmaugTheBluey » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:02 am

@Scotts1au I really like that lens after I zoomed into it, it barely lost quality, do you think that lens would fit on a cannon DSLR?
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott

Postby Scotts1au » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:23 pm

No - different fittings, I'm sure that there are equivalent Canon ones but never really had reason to research them. One thing you need to decide, be it Canon, Nikon, Fujifilm, Sony, Sigma etc you will be committed to a brand.

Return to “Everything Off-Topic!”