Just Some of My Snails

Anything and everything not pertaining to blue-tongued skinks.
Forum rules
This is the place where anything goes! As long as it adheres to our general rules, you may post about it here; for example, tell us or show us: who you are, what you do, what you love/like/dislike, what you have, what you made, what happened, how you feel, what you think, what you heard, what you read, what you wonder, etc. How about showing us something we’ve never seen before?!
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens

Just Some of My Snails

Postby Dakota » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:38 am

Okay, for some reason, snails are starting to interest me. I have around 50 White-lipped snails, and about 3-400 Island Apple snails (about 1000 more left to hatch). All snails are invasive to Florida, and are taken out of the wild for a good purpose. All CBB snails are for food ONLY. Not for breeding. I will catch WC animals and breed them in captivity.

Here are some White-lipped snails:

I ID'd them as Cepaea hortensis. I guess we have really big invasive snails, and really small ones, too! I'm going to try and see if they get any bigger than this (I found them all at this size). If not, they will make a perfect meal size for some Pinktongues that I will be getting in the near future! :D But I just found these yesterday, as I was talking down my street. They were everywhere!

Here are some baby Island Apples I just hatched out:

It is amazing that they start out SOOOOOO TINY, and grow into monsters! I currently have around 50 adult Island Apples (did have 62, but I've been boiling some off as time goes by).

I have even started selling snail meat from adult Island Apples. I am charging $5 per snail. My first order goes out Monday, and if it arrives OK, I will start posting more publicly about them being for sale.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
Carnivale
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Just Some of My Snails

Postby Carnivale » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:19 pm

Eeeeeee they're so little and cute ;o;

How big do the adults get? At $5 per snail I'm guessing they get pretty huge. :o
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter

Postby Dakota » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:06 am

Here they are straight out of the canal.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
Carnivale
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Carnivale » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:15 am

WOW :shock:
Roarschak11
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Roarschak11 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:08 am

How big are your hands???
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter

Postby Dakota » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:11 am

Roarschak11 wrote:How big are your hands???

They are fairly large. :)
Carnivale
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Carnivale » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:35 am

I hope all goes well with the first shipping, because I have a feeling my Bluey would looooove some big snail meat now and then. Is there a particular method to getting the snail out of the shell?
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter

Postby Dakota » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:03 am

Carnivale wrote:I hope all goes well with the first shipping, because I have a feeling my Bluey would looooove some big snail meat now and then. Is there a particular method to getting the snail out of the shell?

As far as getting it out of the shell, after I boil them, I take them out by jabbing them with a fork, and slowly pulling out. They come out pretty easily after being boiled. Most of the time they come out whole, but sometimes I'm not so lucky. I'm trying to figure out a way to get them out whole every time.
Roarschak11
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Roarschak11 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:07 am

Do you chop them up before giving them to your blues, or just let them tear chunks off? I'd imagine they would be pretty chewy!

Return to “Everything Off-Topic!”