Anyone have experience with Veiled Chameleons?

Anything and everything not pertaining to blue-tongued skinks.
Forum rules
This is the place where anything goes! As long as it adheres to our general rules, you may post about it here; for example, tell us or show us: who you are, what you do, what you love/like/dislike, what you have, what you made, what happened, how you feel, what you think, what you heard, what you read, what you wonder, etc. How about showing us something we’ve never seen before?!
Sarikazam
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Anyone have experience with Veiled Chameleons?

Postby Sarikazam » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:21 pm

I ended up getting talked into bringing home a Veiled Chameleon today... well, in all honesty my rubber arm didn't need a whole lot of twisting. The girl who had him before bought him from a local pet store when he was about 5 months old (he is now 7 months old) and she was already terrified of him since he started gaping at her. Without meaning to bash the last owner, she really had no idea what she had got herself into when she bought him. But at least she realised that and decided to re-home him.

I am definitely not an expert on chameleons so I was wondering if I could get some opinions about what shape he is in from someone here who has more experience with them. One thing that has me concerned is that he seems to be keeping his eyes mostly closed at all times.

Sorry for the bad pictures, it was a little tricky to hold him with one hand and take pictures with the other while he kept trying to walk away.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1.0 Merauke (Bruce)
1.0 Northern (Hobbes)
Roarschak11
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Anyone have experience with Veiled Chameleons?

Postby Roarschak11 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:43 am

He is defiantly NOT in the best of shape! He is considerably skinny and it looks like he has some shed? On his head? What is your setup for him and do you have a waterfall/dripped for water for him, a mister, and an ai rated enclosure? Do you know what she was feeding him?
Sarikazam
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Sarikazam » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:28 pm

Thanks, that is what I thought. He does have a bit of shed on his body and I am wondering if that is why he isn't opening his eyes. I gave him a long misting with warm water this morning and he started rubbing his eye on his fake branch.

He is currently in the same 18"x18"x24" Exo Terra that he had with the last owner. It only has fake plants at the moment. I am planning on going out and getting a large screen enclosure for him, but I thought that I would wait until he is a bit bigger. He has a drip that I have running most of the day (it falls into a container with a lid so it won't flood the terrarium), but I can't say how often the last owner used it. And I know she didn't mist him but I am planning on misting him once or twice a day depending on how humid it gets in there. The last owner only fed him crickets but I don't know how many or how often and I don't think she ever dusted or gutloaded them.
1.0 Merauke (Bruce)
1.0 Northern (Hobbes)
Roarschak11
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Roarschak11 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:48 pm

Okay. Yea defiantly keep up on the misting until he gets that shed off, and I would try feeding him some Phoenix worms if you can get them. They are great for dehydrated reptiles. I would try to get some dubais too for him. Not very may at a time though. Also, here's a great page that helps with caring for emaciated and dehydrated herps.
http://www.anapsid.org/emaciation.html
Hope it helps and good luck with the little guy! :)
Sarikazam
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Sarikazam » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:40 pm

Unfortunately for me, Dubias are illegal where I am :( I will see about getting some Phoenix worms though.
Thank you very much for all your help! I will go check out that link right now.
1.0 Merauke (Bruce)
1.0 Northern (Hobbes)
Sarikazam
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Sarikazam » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:25 pm

He seems to be doing better already. He did end up having stuck shed on his eyes and regular mistings helped to deal with that. Now he can clearly open both eyes.
I was talking to a local chameleon breeder and she recommended giving him Reptaid. Has anyone tried it out before?
1.0 Merauke (Bruce)
1.0 Northern (Hobbes)
JoshChimera
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby JoshChimera » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:19 pm

That is good. I saw a case with a teenager and her chameleon on YouTube and how it passed away. She had no humidity just like this last owner who owned this chameleon. Great to hear it is doin better! The girl was freaked out it was gaping at her? Poor chameleon!
1.0.0 Tanimbar Island Blue Tongue Skink T. scincoides chimaerea Silver Phase
0.1.0 Taiwanese Beauty Rat snake
0.1.0 Variable King snake
1.0.1 Emerald swift (captive born)
1.2.0 Jeweled Eyed Lacerta
1.0.0 Western Hognose snake
Sarikazam
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Sarikazam » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:27 pm

Yeah, it was kind of funny in a sad way. When I was first checking him out I put my hand in front of him to let him walk on and of course he started gaping at me. She gave me the funniest look as I started baby talking him and telling him what a cute little grump he was.

Also he seems to have a decent appetite and was showing me his pretty colours today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1.0 Merauke (Bruce)
1.0 Northern (Hobbes)
Roarschak11
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Roarschak11 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:56 pm

It looks like he still has a lot of shed still on his head and legs. Fairly sure that reptiaid is a vitamin supplement and would be great, just make sure to watch how much you give him because he is emaciated. Read the instructions. Also ale sure you are providing him with calcium supplements. Has he been eating?
Sarikazam
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Sarikazam » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:32 pm

I am still giving him warm mistings once or twice a day. Should I do anything else to help him with shedding?

Yep, he is definitely eating. I have been offering him about 5-7 crickets and 1-2 super worms a day. I only see him eat a few of those every feeding, but they all disappear so I assume he is eating all of them. I tong feed the super worms and will cut them in half if they look too big. I plan to follow a schedule of dusting with calcium + D3 and vitamins twice a month, and pure calcium every other day. Does that sound okay?

And I will definitely look further into the Reptaid. Just to clarify I am talking about Reptaid the herbal supplement, not Repta-Aid.
1.0 Merauke (Bruce)
1.0 Northern (Hobbes)
Roarschak11
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Roarschak11 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:30 pm

If you gently rub the spots with shed you can try getting some off, just be VERY CAREFUL. They have very thin and sensitive skin :) also, I would stay away from super worms for the time being, they don't have much protein and are mostly exoskeleton and won't be good while he's gaining weight. I reccomend waxworms if you can get them! The calcium sounds good, I would also supplement with vitamins and minerals though. Chameleons are very fragile and lovely creatures so you will have a lot of work ahead of you with caring for this poor tyke but I can tell your doing your best!

P.s. I've never heard of reptiaid. I suppose it would be okay just research it and ask some other chameleon breeders and get their opinions! I'm glad he is eating that is always a relief! Oh and make sure his tank stays at a steady ~80-90% humidy the ought the day too not just at mistings!
Sarikazam
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Sarikazam » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:42 pm

I will see if he can get most of it off on his own before I start pestering him. He doesn't seem to have any loose shed right now anyway. Although it looks like he had trouble shedding around the tip of his tail in the past because it looks like a small area just before the tip was constricted and then the tip is crooked.

Really? I thought it was mealworms that you shouldn't feed but superworms were safe because they contain less chitin. Also I think they contain more fat and around the same amount of protein as crickets. I can get a hold of waxworms and will look into that. And sorry, I guess I forgot to mention that I am dusting with multivitamins twice a month as well.

From doing some more online research it seems like at the very least it won't hurt to try using Reptaid. It is also supposed to help with coccidia, pinworms, and a few other parasites so I think I might try it out on my other reptiles as well. Maybe I should try making a separate thread about it?

Also I am just curious where you found that recommended humidity? The main caresheet that I have been going to recommends 40-70%, but I am trying to keep an open mind and read from as many sources as possible.

Thank you so much for all your help! It is so great having someone to talk to and get info about chameleons!
1.0 Merauke (Bruce)
1.0 Northern (Hobbes)
donkeybuff
Coffee Connoisseur
Coffee Connoisseur

Postby donkeybuff » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:10 pm

I don't know much about chameleons, but generally superworms are regarded as being, on the whole, meatier than mealworms. Superworms still have a lot of hard chitin, but mealworms have a lower amount of meat (next to nothing) for the amount of chitin they have. Superworms have more meat in then.
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
Roarschak11
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Roarschak11 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:10 pm

Whoops yea sorry I got the meal/super worm thing flipped around and I recommended the higher humidity because he is having difficulties with shedding. Although, this does still depend in the cage you have him in; if it's not ventilated then maybe not that high.
Sarikazam
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Sarikazam » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:00 pm

Oh geez.... I just found these on the floor of his terrarium. Do these look like internal parasites to you, or possibly fly larvae or the larvae of some other bug that got in his terrarium? I had been keeping him on a thin layer of coconut fibre to help keep the humidity up, but I am going to remove it right away. I saw about 8 or so of them.
1.0 Merauke (Bruce)
1.0 Northern (Hobbes)
Susann
Merauke Mama
Merauke Mama
Your Facebook name: Sue Bee

Postby Susann » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:05 pm

Is the substrate the same that he came with, or did you change it out when you got him?
I can't imagine those being parasites; even if that's a penny, those are still fairly large worms... I don't know much about parasites, but to my knowledge, most are microscopic. I think.
My guess is, if it's the same substrate from the previous owner, that those are left over worms from feedings.

Unless you get some good answers here from others in the know, you may want to consider a vet exam, or at least a fecal exam. As thin as it sounds like that poor guy is, there may still be a parasite problem, even if those worms aren't part of it.
1.0 Merauke
Figured out Merauke mating time and breeding and bred them for years, now I get to just enjoy my BIG boy Milo!
Sue Bee on FB.
Sarikazam
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Sarikazam » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:09 pm

I switched it out and it has now been a week since then, but I just noticed them for the first time today. I am kind of wondering if they are house fly larvae because they look similar to the pictures I have found on Google. And I guess I didn't think about most parasites being microscopic; that is a bit of a relief.

I have been thinking that I should get him checked out by a vet. The only decent herp vet that I know around here is about 2 hours away, and it can be hard to schedule an appointment with him. But he was really good when I took my Beardie in to see him.

Thanks Susann :)
1.0 Merauke (Bruce)
1.0 Northern (Hobbes)

Return to “Everything Off-Topic!”