Eastern Glass Lizard UPDATE

Anything and everything not pertaining to blue-tongued skinks.
Forum rules
This is the place where anything goes! As long as it adheres to our general rules, you may post about it here; for example, tell us or show us: who you are, what you do, what you love/like/dislike, what you have, what you made, what happened, how you feel, what you think, what you heard, what you read, what you wonder, etc. How about showing us something we’ve never seen before?!
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens

Eastern Glass Lizard UPDATE

Postby Dakota » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:46 am

Before I went on my hiatus, do you guys remember that Eastern Glass Lizard I caught and kept.. named Henry? This guy:

Well, I got him to eat good and drink good, but upon a sudden move back to Tennessee, I was not sure if it was legal to take him with me, so I let him go outside near a roach colony near my house. Later did I find out that it WAS legal to take him out of state, I just could not make a profit off of him (in which I NEVER planned to do). Henry was like one of the nicest O. ventralis I have ever seen.. but I'm not too bummed out knowing he is probably out their munching on them massive Florida roaches, probably right now as we speak.

BUT I am now back in Florida, for good. With college starting in just a few more years, I decided it was best to slow down on the Tiliqua gigas group, only adding one more.. a Halmahera! They will stay back with my father while I attend college, and I will take them back after I get on my feet, decently.. which hopefully will not take too long. Oh, and I officially decided on majoring in zoology, with a minor in ecology, and if possible, as minor in herpetology. :D

ANYWAYS, I was riding my scooter around my neighborhood with my cousin, and he seen a "snake" on the edge of the road. He stopped and told me to look. As soon as I seen it, I was like "EASTERN GLASS LIZARD AHHHHHHH" I jumped off the scooter, and I went after it! The thing took off, and they are FAST! Thankfully I caught it, and it didn't drop its tail. It turned out to be an absolutely perfect one. Full tail, no scars, etc.

I talked to Jessica, the legless lady, and she thinks she is female.. an adult female. I would agree with it being female, but I have caught ventralis like 4 times the size of this girl. I think where she has her full tail, it gives her a long length to her, making her appear bigger. But girth wise, she is still pretty slim. She still has a lot of growing to do.

She still has her juvenile pattern, but I read females tend to retain that pattern, unlike most males.

So, after all this :blah: here she is!
Crappy phone photo, but shows how long she is:
20140705_204254.jpg

More pictures will be posted after I get some more good ones of her.

She calmed down right after I caught her, and has been calm every time I hold her. And yes, I plan to keep her. I just want a 1.1 or at most a 1.2 to take a plunge into successfully breeding them. If this species were to be commonly bred, I would reconsider taking any from the wild, but unfortunately most people know these animals as fragile, disobedient, and not much of a pet.. but they are quite the opposite, IMLE.

I honestly do not know why, but EGL's peak my interest a lot. Could be due to their legless-ness. :noknow: I definitely see myself working with these in the future. These, Tiliqua gigas, and maybe even Peter's Banded's.

So yeah, this is my little update on my growing ventralis obsession.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day,
Dakota
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Re: Eastern Glass Lizard UPDATE

Postby Richard.C » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:44 pm

Nice looking lizard there dakota,alot of folk unfortunatly ignore some of the smaller species that get tarnished as fragile and common,its a pity more folk dont try keeping and breeding them and working them out and there needs to do well in captivity,they look quite interesting to me,probably worth looking up husbandry info on some of the aussie legless lizard species to,there starting to get bred more over here ,your legless lizard friends obviously a great contact to
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter

Postby Dakota » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:09 am

Yeah, it is a shame more people do not keep these, they are just like BTS when it comes to behavior and personality. Yes they CAN drop their tails, but is it their first resort? Not at all. And if you look up information about these guys, it is all the same. 1 guy bothered to study them, and the others just copied and pasted, I guess.

On the Legless lizard Facebook group, there is a guy that often posts Aussie legless.. they definitely are quite the variation in them. :shock: They look more "snake"-like for some reason.

ETA: Here is a good photo of her whole body.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery

Postby Jeff » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:39 am

They are nice looking. I wish the larger species of legless lizards were as attractive as these.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight

Postby Fatal_S » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:10 am

The pattern on the side of her head is really beautiful.
Melanie J. Pratt
www.MelsExotics.ca
Currently living at Mel's Exotics:
BTS: Northerns, Caramel Northerns, Meraukes, Irian Jayas, Silver Tanimbars, Yellow Tanimbars
AFTs: Wild-Type, Striped, Amelanistic, Caramel Albino, Patternless, White Out
California Kingsnake
Dumeril Boa
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter

Postby Dakota » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:58 am

Me too, Jeff. I held a European Legless one time, and they feel really weird.. like rough? But if they were this color or the color of a Borneo glass, I would really consider them as a captive.. their drab look is a turnoff for me.

You should see her in person Mel, she has cool blue on her that is VERY hard to catch on camera.
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:04 pm

Colors just color,i dont mind drabber lizards,we get a faor bit of variety in our legless lizards,some do look snake like others not so much
TJreptiles
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Your Facebook name: Tristan Dudder

Postby TJreptiles » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:42 pm

Ah, I remember Henry. You posted some nice pics of him, sorry you had to release him
2.1.4 Northern's
JoshChimera
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby JoshChimera » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:30 am

Very nice iridescent hues these have.
1.0.0 Tanimbar Island Blue Tongue Skink T. scincoides chimaerea Silver Phase
0.1.0 Taiwanese Beauty Rat snake
0.1.0 Variable King snake
1.0.1 Emerald swift (captive born)
1.2.0 Jeweled Eyed Lacerta