some of my Bugs.

Anything and everything not pertaining to blue-tongued skinks.
Forum rules
This is the place where anything goes! As long as it adheres to our general rules, you may post about it here; for example, tell us or show us: who you are, what you do, what you love/like/dislike, what you have, what you made, what happened, how you feel, what you think, what you heard, what you read, what you wonder, etc. How about showing us something we’ve never seen before?!
Nada
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Re: some of my Bugs.

Postby Nada » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:56 pm

Spindown wrote:God you're brave :P I've lurked on a few arachnid boards and I will NEVER be in the same room as an OBT :P

Do you keep any scorpions or Millipedes? I find inverts fascinating!

I have some whips Centipedes and Mantids.

Roarschak11 wrote:My lord!! The orange marks on the Irminia is stunning! All of your hairy friends are gorgeous I wish we had some of these handsome devils at the zoo! We just have a few rose hairs and some of the cobalt colored ones (I have no idea the name)

Thanks!
Probably a haplopelma lividum Cobalt blue
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan

Postby Spindown » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:13 am

Very cool collection of species :) Someday I hope to own an African Giant Millipede, but the bf is SO not into bugs. I tried for an Emperor Scorpion too, but that was a HUGE no way :D
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Nada
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Postby Nada » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:16 am

Spindown wrote:Very cool collection of species :) Someday I hope to own an African Giant Millipede, but the bf is SO not into bugs. I tried for an Emperor Scorpion too, but that was a HUGE no way :D

well technically pedes aren't bugs, they're Myripods, and in the case of a Giant Black Milli, a less threatening animal does not exist lol
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan

Postby Spindown » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:25 pm

lol to him anything over 4 legs is a bug :) I love millipedes, and the Giants are cute (to me).
~Alyy
Sebastian
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Sebastian » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:29 pm

I love them. I got the joy of holding my first one at a show about a year ago. Until then I was a bit iffy about them, but the second I held one I was inlove! Unfortunately I cannot own one right now because I think my roommate might throw me out! But one day i'd love to have one. That Avicularia versicolor is really cool! Are they dangerous at all? I think I could only keep a non dangerous one, or else i'd be too nervous. They really are spectacular, I can't wait to entertain one some day =D
0.0.1 Crested Gecko Timey Wimey
1.0.0 Chahoua Gecko Sammy
0.0.1 Northern Bluey Gideon

Current Projects
• "The Project" (Gideon)
• New custom environment (Timey)

Oliver has found a wonderful new home.
Nada
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Postby Nada » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:10 pm

Sebastian wrote:I love them. I got the joy of holding my first one at a show about a year ago. Until then I was a bit iffy about them, but the second I held one I was inlove! Unfortunately I cannot own one right now because I think my roommate might throw me out! But one day i'd love to have one. That Avicularia versicolor is really cool! Are they dangerous at all? I think I could only keep a non dangerous one, or else i'd be too nervous. They really are spectacular, I can't wait to entertain one some day =D

It depends on what you consider dangerous. No tarantula is really dangerous to a healthy non allergic adult. They (versicolor) tend to be very flighty, and aren't the best for handling, but they're not biters, they're runners, and jumpers. In the event that it does bite, it's little more than a bee sting.
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan

Postby Spindown » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:01 pm

There are a few species that pack a heck of a wallop, but even then is usually not fatal. Most species have much weaker venom. Can they bite? Anything with a mouth can bite.

I've had the pleasure (and terror) of holding tarantulas at reptile expos. It was a good way for me to experience what they were like in a controlled way ;)
~Alyy
Nada
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Postby Nada » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:59 pm

Spindown wrote:There are a few species that pack a heck of a wallop, but even then is usually not fatal. Most species have much weaker venom. Can they bite? Anything with a mouth can bite.

I've had the pleasure (and terror) of holding tarantulas at reptile expos. It was a good way for me to experience what they were like in a controlled way ;)

No tarantula bite on record has ever resulted in a fatality. That said, I wouldn't want to get bit by an African,Asian, or Australian species. I have been bitten by an OBT(African) , and let me tell you that hurt.. a lot! It can be painful for a while, the OBT had me hurting for 3 days, and my arm was severely swollen.
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan

Postby Spindown » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:14 pm

I imagine that there could be some circumstance, like allergies, where it could be fatal, but definitely not trying to ascribe something to T's that hasnt occurred :P
~Alyy
Nada
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Postby Nada » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:48 pm

Spindown wrote:I imagine that there could be some circumstance, like allergies, where it could be fatal, but definitely not trying to ascribe something to T's that hasnt occurred :P

I'm not saying that it couldn't happen, it could. just that it's very unlikely. If you have a severe bee allergy for instance, I'd suggest against owning a tarantula. In regards to most tarantulas a bite is just uncomfortable, and depending on pain tolerance some may require a hospital visit, but in regards to a healthy, non allergic individual, they're not what I'd call dangerous. I'm in my 20th year with tarantulas and I get bit once every 5 years or so; every time it's my stupidity...
that all said, I am very against handling tarantulas, I treat mine like a fish tank. Handling is very risky for the tarantula. They are extremely fragile, and a fall of just a couple inches can prove fatal.
hydra and sandis
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Postby hydra and sandis » Tue May 20, 2014 3:20 pm

Super cute I love spiders :nod:
Nada
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Postby Nada » Wed May 21, 2014 5:48 pm

I got a couple hundred buns in the oven.. :)
donkeybuff
Coffee Connoisseur
Coffee Connoisseur

Postby donkeybuff » Wed May 21, 2014 5:49 pm

:bye:
I'm fine with holding a big tarantula, but tons of little spiders together freak me out!
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
Tom
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Tom » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:46 pm

I'm a bug guy. I had 18 species of roaches at one time. Down to just 5 now. I have a hisser colony that started with just 3 in 1992. Still going strong. Then I have my dubia colony, Archmandrita tesselata, lobsters and lateralis.

A trio of G. pulchripes and a trio of G. pulchra make up my tarantula collection right now.

I head start and release mantids every year and I sometimes work with bees, beetles or other insects for my job.

I find it interesting how many people on a reptile forum have the willies over some spiders. I didn't expect that.
3.0.1 Northerns
Nada
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Postby Nada » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:39 pm

Tom wrote:I'm a bug guy. I had 18 species of roaches at one time. Down to just 5 now. I have a hisser colony that started with just 3 in 1992. Still going strong. Then I have my dubia colony, Archmandrita tesselata, lobsters and lateralis.

A trio of G. pulchripes and a trio of G. pulchra make up my tarantula collection right now.

I head start and release mantids every year and I sometimes work with bees, beetles or other insects for my job.

I find it interesting how many people on a reptile forum have the willies over some spiders. I didn't expect that.

Nice! I have dubia and Discoids. had lats didn't like them as feeders.

Any luck breeding those Gramms?

I too am constantly surprised by the weird looks I get from Herpers lol
Nada
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Postby Nada » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:48 pm

more babies..
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight

Postby Fatal_S » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:20 pm

...That is creepy and completely awesome :D I love Ts <3
Melanie J. Pratt
www.MelsExotics.ca
Currently living at Mel's Exotics:
BTS: Northerns, Caramel Northerns, Meraukes, Irian Jayas, Silver Tanimbars, Yellow Tanimbars
AFTs: Wild-Type, Striped, Amelanistic, Caramel Albino, Patternless, White Out
California Kingsnake
Dumeril Boa
joan
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Postby joan » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:32 am

Tarantulas are awesome! My husband would absolutely not want any in the house though. :( same with snakes, sigh. I'm just getting by with a few lizards as it is, lol. He's even tolerating a colony of dubias, ha ha.

I'm intrigued, what's the survival rate of such a giant mass of spider babies in captivity? Would be a ton of work selling them off!
Nada
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Postby Nada » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:19 pm

joan wrote:Tarantulas are awesome! My husband would absolutely not want any in the house though. :( same with snakes, sigh. I'm just getting by with a few lizards as it is, lol. He's even tolerating a colony of dubias, ha ha.

I'm intrigued, what's the survival rate of such a giant mass of spider babies in captivity? Would be a ton of work selling them off!

I'm hoping for 100% :) typically it's in the high 90s. Selling them off all depends on the market. I'm sure I'll be happily stuck with a couple.
JoshChimera
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby JoshChimera » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:42 am

Your T. Third picture down has a striking appearance with its blue legs!
1.0.0 Tanimbar Island Blue Tongue Skink T. scincoides chimaerea Silver Phase
0.1.0 Taiwanese Beauty Rat snake
0.1.0 Variable King snake
1.0.1 Emerald swift (captive born)
1.2.0 Jeweled Eyed Lacerta
1.0.0 Western Hognose snake

Return to “Everything Off-Topic!”