Monkey Tail Skinks

Anything and everything not pertaining to blue-tongued skinks.
Forum rules
This is the place where anything goes! As long as it adheres to our general rules, you may post about it here; for example, tell us or show us: who you are, what you do, what you love/like/dislike, what you have, what you made, what happened, how you feel, what you think, what you heard, what you read, what you wonder, etc. How about showing us something we’ve never seen before?!
saisaac
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Monkey Tail Skinks

Postby saisaac » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:18 pm

Anyone here raise or have raised Solomon Island Prehensile Tailed Skinks (Monkey Tail Skinks)?

I am considering buying a trio as a breeding project, but information on them is somewhat hard to come by. Their basic care, lifespan, breeding info, etc. is fairly well known, but I know that herpetologists are now breaking them down into locales/morphs.
Seth Isaacson

1.1.0 Tiliqua scincoides intermedia (Chewy and Malla )

1.1.0 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels (Mel and Lanie) 1.0.0 "Morkie" (Nigel)
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics

Re: Monkey Tail Skinks

Postby Fatal_S » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:20 pm

I have kept some, and plan to again one day when I am fully prepared, but I do think they're a fairly needy species (like chameleons). If their setup and diet is correct, you're great. But if you've messed up either they don't do well. I also believe they are a species that people should only get if they're really looking to work with them and breed them (which it sounds like you are). They're not a common species, and they reproduce very slowly, so they need as many dedicated breeders as they can get. They should also live in groups whenever possible - they are a very social species who are very closely bonded to their family group. Lastly, they have a really nasty bite, and their claws will tear you up; don't let them bite you, and wear long-sleeves at all times :)

I knew there were a few distinct species of corucia, but once they started breaking down into all the locales I got totally lost. I'm definitely not the one to talk to there. If you have any other questions feel free to ask, and I will answer to the best of my knowledge.

But if you want really good information, my personal corucia guru is Daniel of MonkeyTails Canada. He is full of knowledge, has a truly amazing collection, and was always willing to help me out. I wish I had taken more time to learn from him, before my one gal got really ill. Daniel is also the person I sent my last skink to, because I knew she was going to a fantastic home where she'd live in a big group and get top-notch care (she might be preggo now!). When I have the time and willpower to really setup an amazing enclosure and provide the best diet, I'll be chatting with Daniel about getting another group together. For now I live vicariously though him on Facebook (MonkeyTails Canada Daniel). Look him up at your own risk - you will completely fall in love with all his corucia (babies everywhere!). If you're looking to start working with corucia, I'd say contact him and have a chat :)

And if you do get corucia, many photos are required!
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:44 pm

I wish we could keep them here,they look awsome,some great advice from mel,definatly post pics ect if you get some,and dont forget the other skink species section at top of this page
saisaac
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby saisaac » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:43 am

Sounds like I will not be getting them. The trio has already been sold. I have been chatting with someone who is selling 7 individuals from a friend's group due to his death. Unfortunately for my purposes, the individuals that are available are at least 7-8 years old and probably older and are likely wild caught. They have also never been paired. From what I have read that would make them middle aged at best, and they bond best when paired from a young age. It would be a shame to invest more than $2000 into them and then have them be non-productive.

I am still going to keep an eye out, but I will probably turn my attention back towards getting a group of Northerns and/or hopefully Apline Blotchies. I really want to take the next step and expand from a hobbiest to breeding. I had wanted to get a Bluey for the better part of a decade prior to purchasing Chewy from Captive Bred a year and a half ago. He has been a real joy and even my wife loves skinks now so I am excited to keep working with them.
Seth Isaacson

saisaac
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby saisaac » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:41 am

So Ivan Alfonso, the individual who is acting as the seller and DVM, says that they can be productive breeders into their 30s, but I am having difficulty confirming this elsewhere.

Now I am back to considering them...
Seth Isaacson

Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics

Postby Fatal_S » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:10 pm

I'd say chat with Daniel. He says he thinks my girl is actually really old (I thought 7-10, he's thinking 20+), and she integrated perfectly into her new big group (now she runs the group) and appears to be preggo. So they obviously can do great. Another one I pointed him to (an old LTC gal who'd lived alone her whole life) didn't get along with that group, but paired up happily with one of his other males and produced twins already.
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:27 pm

Like in bluetongues,7 to 8 is still reasonably young in these guys,older ones have a good reputation of being more consistant breeders to
saisaac
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby saisaac » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:36 am

Yeah, I found a lot more information, and he has been very helpful. Thank you guys for sharing what you know as well. Unfortunately, for the time being I don't think it is the right choice for my family. Obviously there is the cost issue, but to me the more important aspect is simply the fact that I have no experience with breeding yet and starting with a species so valuable is probably not the best idea.

I'll just have to try to find Chewy a lady friend at the Tinley Park Expo in March. :ohyes:
Seth Isaacson

nsducktoller
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby nsducktoller » Fri May 09, 2014 10:44 am

I really don't know how long they live, but my oldest wild-caught girl is a minimum of 26 years old, and had another baby this year.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:39 pm

I know I'm late to this party but for anybody considering this AMAZING species, really do your research. As somebody mentioned, they are not as forgiving with mistakes as the Blue Tongues. They also need a much larger enclosure, being arboreal and the largest known skink. We're talking at least 4'x2'x4', which you will most likely have to build. An enclosure that large is not only expensive but can also be tricky to maintain proper heat and humidity levels over 70%. With that said, they are probably the coolest and most rewarding reptile I've ever worked with. They are very active at night and I could watch mine climb all over his enclosure all night.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:25 am

I found a video about a custom enclosure build for a Monkey Tail Skink.... Scaled S01E06

Seems the show is more about creating business for the company highlighted in the show …. would be nice if they gave more focus to their care & husbandry needs and behaviours.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:03 pm

Thank you kingofnobbys. I will be sure to check that out ASAP! :thumbs:
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:55 am

I saw that one too, was excited about Scaled show but it's not about the animals at all. It's all about business, and making cages aesthetically pleasing to the owners. Just another reality show. Yawn. When I heard of it at first I thought it was going to be a documentary about herps. Watched it twice, I'm done. May give some ideas to DIY cage makers, but that's about all the use it has.

Return to “Everything Off-Topic!”