Ultrasonic Plug in Pest Control

Anything and everything not pertaining to blue-tongued skinks.
Forum rules
This is the place where anything goes! As long as it adheres to our general rules, you may post about it here; for example, tell us or show us: who you are, what you do, what you love/like/dislike, what you have, what you made, what happened, how you feel, what you think, what you heard, what you read, what you wonder, etc. How about showing us something we’ve never seen before?!
ssr
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Ultrasonic Plug in Pest Control

Postby ssr » Sat May 25, 2013 5:07 pm

Hi Everyone! I am needing to take my ant control up a notch in my home and was researching those plug in type pest control devices. The sites do carry warnings to not use them in homes with mice, gerbils, hamsters and tarantulas. Does any one know if they would bother reptiles? I would think that if they were harmful to reptiles the manufacturer would mention it but I'm not completely confidant of that and would like to know if any one knows for sure before I purchase them. Thanks.
donkeybuff
Coffee Connoisseur
Coffee Connoisseur

Re: Ultrasonic Plug in Pest Control

Postby donkeybuff » Sat May 25, 2013 7:38 pm

http://www.pestrepellerultimate.net/faq_at.htm#b7
According to this, reptiles are not affected by ultrasonic pest control.
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
ssr
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby ssr » Sat May 25, 2013 8:37 pm

Thank you Donkeybuff! This is exactly what I was looking for and needed to know.
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery

Postby Jeff » Sun May 26, 2013 9:17 am

This something that might be useful to many others. If you do this, please let us know how it works, both in getting rid of the ants, and if you notice any affects at all on your reptiles.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
ssr
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby ssr » Sun May 26, 2013 9:31 am

Will do!
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower

Postby Linnea » Sun May 26, 2013 10:11 am

im not sure id recommend using that product. ultrasound may not harm humans at certain strenghts, but there are some safety precautions to take when using ultrasound products.

this year theyve been selling scam products (fully functioning ultrasound apparatus) to people who thought to loose weight and fat, resulting in serious burning injuries both external and internal.
so no matter what, read up on ultrasound from other sources before plugging it into a wall in your house.

there are many humans, especially children, who can hear this sound and are very annoyed by it. im one of them.
m grandmother used an ultrasonic mice frightener, and when i figured out where the horrifying sound came from i made sure it was never plugged in again-

so yeah, it will affect your reptiles, kids and everything that can hear it. they will not be hurt, but te sound.....it would drive anyone crazy.

EDIT:
sorry if i sound too serious. i just see another product being sold as an ant killer instead of a mice frightener.
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade

Postby El Lobo » Sun May 26, 2013 8:24 pm

One thing that has always bothered me about these ultrasonic devices is the manufacturers seem reluctant to state at what frequency they operate. That is what is needed to assess if they are likely to cause distress amongst animals other than those allegedly targeted.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Mon May 27, 2013 5:14 pm

ive used them in the past,the rodent type ones,didnt seem to bother anything,including the dang rodents for which it was used for
ssr
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Re: Ultrasonic Plug in Pest Control-UPDATE

Postby ssr » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:04 pm

Ok. The verdict is in and I will say with confidence that the pest controller I purchased does work for ants! I hope it works during the winter months on mice but I'll have to wait and see since they are seasonal visitors.

Here is the information:

covers 5,000 sq ft
ultrasonic frequency: 25,000Hz
pulse interval:
ultrasonic wave: 1 sec-4 sec. on, .5 sec-2 sec off
magnetic wave: .5 sec-2 sec on 1 sec-4 sec off

The skinks showed no signs that would make me believe they heard or felt anything. I tested it a couple of times in an outlet next to their enclosures and never did their actions reflect any acknowledgement of the unit being plugged in.

In a room with normal activity and sounds I cannot hear the unit unless I put my ear very close to it. In a very quiet room I can hear it from about 2' away. To test it's effectiveness, I would plug it in near an area with ants present. Within a few hours the ants became less and within 24 hrs they were gone. I would then remove the unit and in just over a day the ants were back. I would then plug the unit in and they would leave. I'm pleasantly surprised with the results. I will say the unit I tested is the most expensive that I see on the market and the only one with all three diversions of electro vibrawave, ultrasonic wave and ionic technology. Today I purchased two more of a less expensive brand that has the vibration waves and the ultrasonic technology. I expect to get just as good as results as I don't believe the ionic (removes odors from the air) is necessary. I would NOT purchase the super inexpensive units as they have only the ultrasonic option without the vibrations that travel thru the wiring and I don't believe that would be near as effective.

I hope this information is helpful to anyone who has ever wondered about this type of pest control.
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Susann » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:29 pm

Do you mind telling us the brand, and how much you paid?
...or did you say and I'm just dense and not seeing it...?
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
ssr
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby ssr » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:42 pm

GoodLife Pest Repeller Ultimate AT. www.goodlifecompany.com Currently on their web site they are $49.95 each or buy 2 get one free.
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Susann » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:47 pm

Awesome, thank you!
We haven't had ants for years, but when we first moved in here they were a huge ...well, PEST.
If they come back, this is a great option to poisons.
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery

Postby Jeff » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:07 pm

I get springtails occassionally. I would like to be able to get rid of them without using poison. This would be a great option if it works on them.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade

Postby El Lobo » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:25 pm

25KHz frequency falls outside the normal high frequency hearing range of humans at a maximum of 23KHz. However, it does fall within the hearing range of:
dog, cat, cow, horse, sheep, rabbit, rat, mouse, gerbil, guinea pig, hedgehog, raccoon, ferret and opossum.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
shane147
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby shane147 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:57 pm

ssr wrote:Hi Everyone! I am needing to take my ant control up a notch in my home and was researching those plug in type Pest control Sydney devices. The sites do carry warnings to not use them in homes with mice, gerbils, hamsters and tarantulas. Does any one know if they would bother reptiles? I would think that if they were harmful to reptiles the manufacturer would mention it but I'm not completely confidant of that and would like to know if any one knows for sure before I purchase them. Thanks.

You can try Blumenmacht. It is a non-toxic insecticide that never harm human, pets or crops. I already use it and it works well.
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Susann » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:02 pm

Thank you for the suggestion, but as per our rule that states: "Do not comment on threads that have been inactive for 3 months or more" I will now lock this topic.

Return to “Everything Off-Topic!”